IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else see these posters out at the Columbia River docks yesterday? Unbelievable. Ocean closed to salmon retention, not sure exactly of the boundaries but it sounded like Washington and Oregon entirely.

The irony is, there's so many hatchery coho out in the ocean, I heard estimates of 425,000 returning this year to the Columbia system. But they didn't raise the quota from last year, it is 55,000 fish from the ocean, and we've hit that, so they closed the ocean effective midnight last night. No more salmon fishing in the ocean. They'll run up the rivers, get to the hatchery and then get clubbed and converted to fertilizer!

And why close it before Labor Day Weekend? I feel really bad for the ocean charter businesses. Makes no sense. It's like we're getting punished for a successful hatchery return.

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
It will be interesting to see if the re-open in September. Can't help but wonder if this doesn't come down to resources, not NATURAL resources, but state and federal resources. So with a big weekend and popular buoy 10 fishing week coming up, is the closure due in part to not wanting to manage/police both Buoy 10 and ocean fisheries......

·
Premium Member
16,600 Posts
Liberal policies in the past, conservative ones currently.

Since I went ocean salmon fishing, and saw that about 50% of the coho were wild fish, I find the return numbers exciting! This is great for the future of the fishery, and if I have to take a hit this year, then so be it. It's a shame that the chinook didn't show in time, but that is life. No guarantees, and a day out on the ocean is a fantastic opportunity no matter what happens. I know for a fact that I have less knowledge than the decision makers, and no time to second guess them. Until those two things change, I'll be happy to fish, and then happy to do other stuff. Oregon is a great state in which to live.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
8,763 Posts
Can't help but wonder if this doesn't come down to resources, not NATURAL resources, but state and federal resources. So with a big weekend and popular buoy 10 fishing week coming up, is the closure due in part to not wanting to manage/police both Buoy 10 and ocean fisheries......
In a word, no. That is not how ODFW operates.
ron m

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A quota is set, a quota is met and the season closes, pretty simple. You know, if the fishing had not been as hot as it was, and there was a ton of quota left, people would blame ODFW for the bad fishing. I guess no matter what they do, people will complain about it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ocean closed to salmon retention, not sure exactly of the boundaries but it sounded like Washington and Oregon entirely.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's closed to Cape Falcon Oregon, which is well north of Tillamook bay (and I believe north of Nehalem bay).

Look here for a list of the Landmark Locations that ODFW uses.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/salmon/locations.asp

--Ska

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's closed to Cape Falcon Oregon, which is well north of Tillamook bay (and I believe north of Nehalem bay).

Look here for a list of the Landmark Locations that ODFW uses.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/salmon/locations.asp

--Ska

Once again the CR folks take it in the shorts. Well done Ocean Fisheries Management. Well Done. Here's an idea, why not give half our quota to Alaska like ya did on Halibut.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Once again the CR folks take it in the shorts. Well done Ocean Fisheries Management. Well Done. Here's an idea, why not give half our quota to Alaska like ya did on Halibut.
Bernie... I understand your frustration, but you're fishing the wrong pond. First off, no one has given half your quota to anyone - yet. And second it's the International Pacific Halibut Commission that is proposing a shift.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Bernie... I understand your frustration, but you're fishing the wrong pond. First off, no one has given half your quota to anyone - yet. And second it's the International Pacific Halibut Commission that is proposing a shift.

Well, if the pond has big mouth bass then I will continue to fish it.:smash: Pretty sad state of affairs.

Far as the halibut, we'll see Jen. Trust no one. IMHO

Far as coho, many more coho this year than last and they shut it early. CRAZY. Just wait CHinook will close Wednesday I bet ya.

This fisheries game is a joke. Reductions proposed for Tuna limits on sporties, no ocean salmon, potential screwing on Halibut, shortened river season for nooks. It's a joke that is not funny.

It's Monday right? I'm entitled to be cranky. Heck, they kinda screwed my vacation up. Next year I'll take the middle two weeks of August instead of the last two weeks to avoid this kind of reaction.

Jen thanks for your involvement in trying to make things right. I don't have the patience nor the temperment.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First, you're right, the boundaries are Ledbetter in Wa to Cape Falcon, I realized that later, it's just the Columbia River fishery they are closing. But, my issue is that the forecast was for 425,000 returning coho hatchery fish, vs. I recall 300,000 in 2006. Yet the quota for catching these fish wasn't increased? Why? There are so many hatchery Coho out there, and the catch is higher this year because there's more fish, not because people are fishing more. And by the way, they didn't allow Friday Saturday ocean fishing at the start of the season last year, yet because they expected more fish, they kept it open all week long from the beginning of the season, so with about 16 days more of ocean fishing early in the season, and not increasing the quota, more fish are caught and they close the fishery down in the ocean right before Labor Day Weekend. Now that to me is poor management. If they weren't going to increase the quota, why did they allow fishing 7 days a week from the very beginning? I talked to Oli at Tiki charter last Sat. and the poor guy was devestated. He showed me his schedule, he had full boats all the way into mid-Sept.

I'm sure he'd much rather have a reliable schedule, not fish two days a week in July and August, and be able to fishing 7 days a week through September like last year.

I'm sure he assumed, like I did, that when they kept it open all week right from the beginning, that it was because they forecast more returning fish, and that the fishing was going to be great right through the season.

To not increase the quota when there's more fish, but increase the fishing days early in the season, is a setup for catastrophe at the end of the season and I for one am upset at the poor management of this fishery. Whoever is responsible for this should be fired. People's businesses are going to be suffering. All I have lost is some fun days fishing at the end of the summer but I hope that all of you out there will weigh in as I have done with expressing your belief that this was a poor management situation.

To simply say a quota was set, a quota was met, tough. There was more than just the quota decision going on here.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
To simply say a quota was set, a quota was met, tough. There was more than just the quota decision going on here.
What else do you think was involved in the decision?? The quota was set months ago? No one can tell when the quota will be met. I am just trying to understand what else you think may have been involved in the decision.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Pacific Fisheries Management Council, not ODFW sets salmon quotas.

As for the lack of change in the coho quota this year, blame Canada, believe it or not. :shrug: Coho fisheries this year in the US were constrained North of Cape Falcon due to depressed coho runs in the Frasier River, IAW the Pacific Salmon Commission agreement between the US and Canada.

Remember that the quotas are set based upon the fisheries impact to native fish, not hatchery fish. The higher the hatchery quota, the greater the impact to non-hatchery fish that are caught and released as some will die.

Not saying that they are right, but you can go here to learn more about the process and how and why the quotas are set: http://www.pcouncil.org/bb/2007/0407/salpreII07.pdf

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Invade Canada now!:smirk:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Invade canada?
I'm game. As long as I am back for the seahawks season opener.
Its very frustrating, we are taking a 5 day weekend for labor day.
The bright side is the forecast is looking good for the weekend and tuna.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They make a quota decision, and a decision as to how many days you can fish early in the season. In the past you couldn't fish Fri or Sat until Mid-August. That left quota and fishing days into Sept when the fish run into the river and are gone. Which fish would you rather fish for, small ones in July, or big fat ones in Sept? They both count as one fish, but we all know they are growing out there every day. So why not limit the catching days in July and early August as they have before, so that people could go fishing when the fish are at their best? And, it would give people the chance to fish in the ocean on Labor Day Weekend and beyond. Shutting down ocean fishing for the biggest weekend of the summer for salmon fishing is really not too bright in my book. Whoever made the quota decision and the early season schedule for catching pushed too many small coho into the boats in July.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Any weekend we can fish is a big weekend. Fish when it is open and often. waiting to fish on labor day weekend is not a very good idea. 7 days a week lets working people fish during the season. In years past we did not get close to the quota. I was also able to fish 2 days instead of one on nice weekends. the kids and myself thank them for a good decision. Gives sportfisherman bigger percentage of qouta over charters,

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The thought process behind the early 7 day a week opener was based on the fact they haven't hit there quota for several years. Why limit it to 5 days a week if you can't hit your quota? I don't think anyone would argue, we would rather be catching big fat coho in August and September rather than dinks in early July.

Unfortunately (fortunately) there are a lot of fish and fisherman this year. Anytime fishing is good, participation goes up and quota's will be met sooner. I think the general concensus is that there are a lot of fish out there, but I don't think they have the latitude to increase the run size in season. Just one of those things. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts