IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past few days we have been out shad fishing and have been killing them. We have also had alot of people wondering if we had this huge secret, because we were nailing them and the guys next to us were not doing anything. After about 40 shad in less than an hour for four rods we got questions. The boat right above us pulled off his anchor and pulled next to us. You know how that goes. Glad to have some more company we gladly told him what we were using and made him up the rig we were using. Once he tied it up and threw it out his son was nailing fish until he could get the rest of his rods rigged the same way. After that he joined us in alot of fun.

The SECRET! Well there is none. Use two of the green grubs with a small gold hooked jig head.

Use a 3-4 oz. drop sinker about 2.5-3 feet below your first leader. put you next leader about two feet above the bottom leader. Your top leader should be a foot long, and your bottom leader should be 2-3 feet long. We caught 95% of our fish on the bottom leader. Do not use spreaders. Use black three way swivels. I started using the small spreaders and caught one fish for there 10. Once I switched I could not keep them off. Hey, it works.

We made sure we were on the bottom. Back bounce your line about 30-50 feet behind the boat. CHeck to see if you are on the bottom every so often. IT WORKS! Have fun. Oh yes. We were in 20' of water.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK, I'll try this next time out.

Also, by green do you mean chartruese or are they really green?

Tangles?

Thanks,
GU

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chartruese. Sorry about that. Go right above the Clack in the middle.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Real glad to see people so willing to SHARE their secrets....good work....we need more people like that.

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
Working your gear way back seems like the key ... I'm always surprised how many I hook as I'm working my gear down stream.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Feeling that pickup as you back that gear downriver is the best. If the green grubs aren't working, don't forget just plain old silver or gold swivels and hooks (we just take the blades off "flickr" spinners......seriously).

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
So- where do you get green mini grubs? I was at the GI Joes in Vancouver, and they only have the tube jigs for crappie. I did buy a pack of little foxie chartruese jigs, but no luck on just plain wormies. Thanks for any help. TOC.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks for explaining your rig for shad....now if someone could do that for bobber fishing salmon/steelhead that would be great....how to ya rig a sandshrimp?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey TOC, my fishin' amigo was in BC Anglers yesterday evening and he said they have them in there.BC is just south of FMS in the OC Shopping Center. Also said the owner, I think his name is John, was really helpful in explaining rigging for Shad in the Willie. Stop by if you can and give BC a try. They have all kinds of spinner components in there too. Good luck on the Shadies!!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
We have been using just the old swivel and Chartruse bead and have out fished everyone in sight. Dont waste your $$ on packaged Shad lures.

Fool

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
We were up there tues. evening and did very well.
our best luck was a brass with red dick nite. It out performed the grubs and green dick nites 10/1. We moved that set up all over the boat and it kept catching them. There was a boat that pulled up right next to us and caught much less than us. Strange, we showed him our set up and it still didn't help. :whazzup:

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I was in the same spot (or there abouts) on Sunday morning for a couple hours. Fish down by Meldrum for about an hour two. We filled the freezer with a bare hook (brass swivel and siwash hook). Find the "seam" and your in business.

Congrats on a good day of fishin and thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to give the green grub a try.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Just like Jettin fool says, add a #4 red hook and voila! Instant Crab bait!
We actually back bounced for them, that was new, some of us bounced eggs for Salmon, some ran Shad gear and some did both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts