IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have see a bunch of people using Oar Rites, Do you? Do they work well? Do you get rid of the rubber donut when you use oar rites?

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
i have seen folks use them and heard folks talk about using them. i personally prefer not to and i don't have much time in on the sticks overall. the thing is that there are times when you will want to angle the blades forward or backward to feather your stroke more or to ensure that the current doesn't catch your blade. it's really just a matter of getting your hands and wrists to do what you want them to do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't have them on my DB but my buddy had them on his raft and I couldn't stand them. It felt like they forced me into an unnatural stroke. We took them off and life was better. :smile:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've rowed for 15+ years and I love them. You don't need the rubber donut, you never have to look at your oar blades or try to feel how they're laying in the water. and they work well as a rudder when anchored to help eliminate the whip from current. I think they are like your favorite fishing plug. They need a little tuning when you first put them on, but once they're tuned they are great.............My 2 cents

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
I've been rowing a DB for close to 20 years, tried them once and didn't like them at all. They didn't give me the control I like with being able to feather the blades like ampersat said. Kind of like having training wheels on a row boat in my opinion :grin:

JK

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I use the rubber donut with the oar rite molded in. This part is made completely of rubber. It functions just like the donut.

You don't use it when you are pulling your oars. It is out of the way and only comes into play when you drop the oars during anchoring or when you are stopped along the shore. The donut keeps the oars from pulling through the oarlocks and holds the blade perpendicular to the water.

When the oar blade is is held at this angle it helps keep the boat from weaving back and forth in strong current. Anchoring is the only time when I see an advantage to using the oar rite feature.

If you are interested in a pair then drop me an email.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I use oar rites to anchor. If you cut the oar rite back and leave it about 1 1/2in long and put them up a ways on your oars when you anchor slide your oars down and oar rites into oar lock this keeps the boat straight...TM

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm still new on the sticks and after a few trips I bought a pair and gave them a shot. I really liked them.Like said before there like training wheels but heck thats what I needed. I also have a few guys that have been rowing for years and they still run them on there sticks. They also do help out while sitting on the anchor.Good luck!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Love them. Wouldn't want to be on the water w/out 'em. Might save your butt some day when you have to dig in fast...

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Don't like them. Thirty-five years of rowing a drift boat. I'm constantly feathering the oars to reduce/increase bite on one side or another. The Oar-rites only let your blade go into the water blade vertical. I also pull the handles of the oars closer together..then sometimes farther apart depending on the kind stroke needed. I just like the versatility that I'm allowed without them. I did inherit a pair on a 16' raft I have, but took them off after using them once or twice

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I like them in soft water when I am pulling plugs or anchored. In big water, they spook me. Cut them back like Timber says and you get the best of both worlds.

Mark and the dog.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Hey there great. Just like training wheels for a bike. I think they might help a beginner rower but once you learn how to row you will get rid of them, just like the training wheels.

Rauly

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you do put them on, I would only use them as stops for holding the oars in place while on anchor. I have had a drift boat for about 1.5 years and they were on the oars when I purchased it. Finally, moved them way up so they are well above the oar locks when I am rowing and it makes a huge difference. Personally, I think they hinder a persons ability to learn to row and handle the sticks properly. I progressed much quicker once they were moved up.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If you do as Timber suggested you might find that you like them. I cut mine off between the words oar rite and rounded the corners. I placed mine higher on the oar and when rowing I turn them to where they are touching the crotch of the oar lock. This way I can feather the oars while rowing and when anchored I let them slide into the locks. This keeps the boat from swaying while on anchor.

Giz...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hoping somebody might be able to help me with this....I have two pair of wood oars now and they both on occasion come out of the oar locks when I'm really digging in. One time it came close to getting me in trouble when I was going down a good rapid. both sets of oars have the standard oar wraps and seem to be in good shape and not worn thin. Is this normal that they should be able to come out of the oar locks? Is there anyway to prevent this, or is just that I need to work on my rowing form and skills so they don't pop out?

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
NW,
I know that my oars are tampered and will only fit into my oar locks down near the blade so when you slide them up towards the donut they are larger in diameter and won't pop out of the oar lock. My oar locks are also tapered at the opening to prevent the oar from coming out. I've seen some oar locks that open straight up and can see that this could be difficult to keep the oar in the lock when you are really barring down on them. I don't know what you have for equipment but maybe some change of equipment might help you out.

JK

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
NW Redside....you could get a different set of oarlocks...narrower at the top...or re-wrap your oars with slightly larger diameter cord

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have been rowing for years and had the oar rites on for one day and threw them away. I guess that they are ok to plane the oars while on anchor. I feather the oars all the time and about the comment of digging in fast in a hairy situation.....what happens when you stick an oar and cant twist it out?????? You either flip or pop an oar........I was in a boat when this happened and he popped the oar and folded the boat under a tree with me in it..!!!!To each his own but for me and most people that know how to row you wont see them on their boat.

John

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Well said, John....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
What type of oarlocks do you use and where is the best place to get them? I have heard machined SS, but am asking for advice from all of you experienced boaters.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts