IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace the oars on the 16' Willie. Currently am using the wooden Sawyer's that came with the boat when I purchased it used. Not going to give up the Willie just the oars. My question is: Is there some type of formula which is used to determine the correct lenght of oars?

I'm not sure if I need 9', 9.5' or 10'ers. I'm self taught on the sticks and learned using what came with the boat. Just time to upgrade and I want to get the proper length. Words of experience would be appreciated.

Also who can get me a good price on composites?

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
9'6" is a fine balance on the Willies.

Composites are not cheap. They are nice. But old fashioned wood still has it's fans.

Mark and the 4'6" dog.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I like 9's on my drifter, but I have a pretty good wing span. Also, check out Cataract composite oars. Once you get used to them (they feel different than wood) you will never go back.

RF

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
fatfish, what are you going to do with your wood oars? If your selling, I may interested in buying.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Fatfish,I've run 8 1/2ft oars for over 20yrs. I sometimes run a very heavy overloaded boat down the wild section of the Rogue. I also run plugs alot,for my money 8.5 are the way to go. For power you want short quick strokes,which the shorter oars will give you. Also they perform better in tight situations. I'am in the process of cutting down a pair of Sawyer 9.5 counter balanced oars right now.

[ 11-01-2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I think a better question is what type of water do you run. If your on the Penninsula a lot you may want 8 1/2 to sneak through the rock gardens. But if your running 4 guys down hells canyon you may want 10'. But if you put them in deep in fast water you better be HE-MAN or your going for a ride. I find that 9' oars are great everywhere but I prefer to go with the bigger blades so when I dig them in deep I am getting good purchase. Its just easier to clear the holes in short oars and they are also quicker to respond.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In addition to what has been said I also think the height of the rowers seat makes a difference. I currently have 9.5 oars recently had my seat raised (and put the tractor seat on it - for those of you without one it was the best money I have spent on the boat, what a difference this seat makes) and I think the increased height also changes the angle of the oars into the water which makes the 9.5 foot oars almost too cumbersome and it makes it more difficult to dig hard and fast. I borrowed some 9 footers and tried these out. I Plan on ordering 9 footers in the next week or two.

Freespool, how do you cut oars down? Do you cut off the handle and put it on again?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Depending on where you fish/drift. I liked my 10's I loved to get a good dig when needed and good control. I too loved the Cata's that I bought for it.
Fire :cheers:

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Scooby,with Sawyer counter balanced oars the weight is in the handle. So remove the handle which has a chunk of steel round stock in it. Cut one inch off the round stock,then cut a foot off the shafts and presto 8 1/2ft oars. I'am not that clever so I called Sawyer and got the low down on how to do it. I'am now ready to wrap them,also putting those oar right oar stops on. I have cut wood oars down,then reshaped the grips with a spoke shaver. And years ago I made my own oars out of a ash plank,roughed out with a band saw and went to work with a plane,spoke shaver and belt sander. Had I paid myself a dollar an hour it would have been cheaper to buy a set already made.

Free

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. This sounds as if it could turn into a Ford/Chev/Dodge debate. I'm not sure what way to go at this point. Maybe I'll borrow some longer sticks and see how they feel.

Cully, if I decide to sell the wooden sticks I will advertise on Ifish. Keep your eyes peeled.

Thanks again all......

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Freespool. Is it easy to get the handle off without damaging it? I thought they were glued on with a strong epoxy glue? I got a pair of 9.5's that I could cut down if it is easy enough to do.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Scooby,if they are Sawyer counter balanced oars they will come right out. Take the set screw out and twist the handle. They use a bead of gloveit to seal the grips and blades,just break that bead off first.

Free

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Here's a link for sizing, they also carry oars so you can price what you like.

Oar Length Suggestions

Hope this helps,

Chris :cool:

p.s. I run 9'6 on my 57", I think the longer the better for backtrolling, shorter for tight maneuvers. They also sell extensions, to customize to your oar set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts