IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Scallywag
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here has goose hunted out of blind #3 an Oak Island at S.I. WMA?

I will be going there for the first time tomorrow, :dance: and have some questions.

Does the pit blind have seating, or do I bring my own chair?
What direction is the blind orientated length-wise?
Can you select which direction you are sittting/facing in the blind? (like if there is a bench, can you sit with your feet on one or the other side?)
Anyone have a map of that unit they could scan and email to me?
Is it mostly decoy or pass shooting?
Can you hunt in a goose chair outside the blind?
Anything else I should know?

Anyone here knowledgable with 'that hunt' that would like to be considered for an open seat? :bigshock: We would prefer to have a decent caller, and with some FB's. :help:
:grin:
If you want, PM me, and I'll shoot you my phone number to talk...

Thanks a million :cheers:

· Registered
2,475 Posts
From what I know most of the Oak island blinds do well for geese. Mostly passing shots but you'll need goose decoys. I believe some guys get shots at occasional ducks but not a duck hunting unit for the most part. Good luck, hope this helps.

Brett Neffendorf

· Scallywag
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brett! I appreciate any info at this point. :applause:

We have about 5 dozen dekes so far, one dozen of which is flocked full bodies, 2-3 doz. magnum shells, couple dozen silhouettes, etc. I don't speak "geese", so that's why I was looking for more FB's and a caller.

:cheers:

· Scallywag
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leave the shells and silo's at home???? :bigshock:

Why wouldn't more shells and silo's help, in a big spread? :help:

Those expensive, full body, flocked, decoys have a lot of advantages, and look really great, but I can't think that leaving all the other attractrants at home is better than ONLY 1.5 dozen FB's, versus 6-9 dozen varieties "mixed" properly???

Hmmmmmmm........So much to learn, so little time. :food:

· Registered
2,475 Posts
If I were to traffic hunt the birds, it may be different. When I traffic hunt birds in Central Oregon I will throw out any and every decoy I have. If you scout a field out with say 100 geese in it and none of them are laying on the ground resting, why throw out shells? I would much rather hunt with my 6 DSD then the shells and other fullbodies in ANY field any day, just depends on what the geese are doing and what type of hunt i am on. Whats everyone elses take on this?

Brett Neffendorf

· Vendor
6,589 Posts
I agree with only putting out your best dekes. I used to haul about a hundred silhouttes and 4 dozen shells with me when I would hunt Islands out of my boat. We would also put out about 3 dozen full bodies.

I got sick of dealing with the shells and quit using them. I then got sick of the silhouttes, and left them at home. Eventually we figured out that a few properly placed decoys and 2 guys that are good on the calls is just as effective. Learning to speak goose will improve your results more than anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.