IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is OK to post. I don't think that Jennie has any competing advertisers. If it isn't OK, mods feel free to delete.

Soozy and I were in Hawaii last week and decided to try some bluewater fishing. We were not able to get over to the big island to fish Kona, so we decided to just fish off Oahu. I had little hope as Oahu is not considered the best place to fish.

My son lives in Ko'Olina, which is a beautiful area about 20 miles west of Honolulu on Interstate (funny!) H-1. We hooked up with the only charter out of Ko'Olina harbor, which is Deep Blue Fishing Charters, owner/skipper Ralph Su).

Ralph is a locally-born federal law enforcement guy about to retire. Right now he fishes 10-15 days a month, but will soon fish full time. His boat is a magnificent 44-ft, fully air-conditioned Phoenix sportfisherman in absolutely impeccable shape. He runs 5 lines, which is very unusual. Water, soft drinks, champagne, beer, ice, etc. are all provided, as are electrical accupressure stimulators for wrist wear if desired. Nobody gets seasick on this boat. The gear is all newer Penn and Everol reels, and the rods are all Penn Internationals. We fished 80 and 130 weight gear. This is a first-class operation. Prices are way, way less than Kona.

The mate is Jimmy, a local retired computer techno-type who lives on his big sailboat at the dock. A really first-class guy who delights in providing a narrative about the local geology, social history and customs. This is one smart guy!

I was surprised to see that blue water at Ko'Olina harbor begins right at the jetty, which was 30 seconds (maybe 200 feet) from the dock. By the time we were clear of the jetty we had trolling gear out.

The 500 fathom line is a half mile out, and the 1000 fathom line is about 2 miles out. The state has placed several buoys at those lines to attract baitfish.

We fished in dead calm seas (too bad) on a day after a full moon all the previous night. That is as tough as it gets for billfishing, especially with no wind chop.

Despite the bad timing, we scored on a nice striped marlin (slightly under 100 pounds). After immediate bleeding the fish went on shaved ice in a huge ice box. That impressed me. My son is now enjoying the filets.

I encouraged Ralph to consider contacting Jennie about advertising. It would be cool to be able to fish in Hawaii without having to run clear over to Kona, and also to get regular reports on Ifish about fishing these waters.

[ 07-20-2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
217 Posts
wish I knew about this last year,,I went to Maui an was signing up with a charter when i said I'd like to take home some Ohno,,the captain laughs,,said son the boat an captain keep all fish you catch. I crossed out my name an walked away :mad: ....an thought Hmmmmmmm I have new rules on my boat here @ home.. :dance: :grin:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had an agreement with the captain to tag/release all blue and black marlin, sailfish and any very large stripers, and keep only "eating size" stripers (under 100 pounds), plus any ono, mahi-mahi, ahi, etc.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
We fished on the Magic out of Honolulu's Kewalo basin a few years back. We too ended up with a near 100lb stripe marlin, but after reading Capn' Tanakas resume' we feel like we had as good a chance to get a big marlin (500-1000lbs) as anybody. And the air conditioned 50 footer was unbelieveable...

[ 07-20-2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm a little confused, there seems to be a universal catch and release ethic for sailfish. After I did tons of research (ok, maybe 30 minutes using altavista) it seems that this should be the keeper fish from the billfish family. It breeds young, grows fast (up to 6' in a year)and is not as long lived as most of the other billfish (max 10, usually 3 to 4 years). And it’s delicious with or without a nice Chianti and fava beans. Am I missing something?
I guess I'm feeling guilty as I just got back from Acapulco and my "first" big game adventure. I used to think that big game fishing was a long, over-priced boat ride. That was until I met Frank during an over-priced boat ride in Barbados.
Frank owns a 46' boat in Acapulco that he charter's. He said come down and he'd show me fishing. He did.
3 sails to the boat, 4 farmed. And that's not counting the 5 to 10lb barrilitos (looked like bonita to me) we caught for marlin bait. Frank is a catch and eat stylee guy. It was his boat and a long swim back. Subsequently, I declined the mount (where do you put an 8'8" fish?) and gladly accepted the fillets. They were excellent pan-fried, grilled, and stewed. The rest went to the housekeeper and I don't get the impression that the any of those fish were wasted.
So is catch and eat dependent on the region?

[ 07-21-2003, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: fishesfromtupperware ]

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Jack, come home the water line broke and your basement is flooding! :wink:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Jack, you left the coffeemaker on come home now and turn it off! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Jack, your neighbors hired home demolition team has the wrong address put the rod down and hurry home!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tilla --- Just make sure you and that big bazooba boat leave my steelies alone! :grin: Is there still enough water to float it?

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I'm working up north further now, some guys at the mouth are lettin' 'em by!

"danceswithlabs" shows us how it's done last Sunday.

[ 07-22-2003, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Tilla ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts