IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anchored in the Sandbar line along side LipRipper at 6:15 Saturday morning. Very slow, 1st fish at 8:00 for 50 boats.

Too much driftwood. At one point I had two guests on the bow pushing off logs, and we still hooked into one which we had to chase to get our tackle back, but not before the large branch ended up in two other lower anchor lines.

One dough-ball trolled down current right past a neighboring boat with his 3 rigs sliding up the neighbors anchor line into the open bow and almost hooking into the owner. What an idiot. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Not a take-down all day. Left at 6:00 pm. :depressed:

Cheerio'
Skipper

[ 04-21-2003, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Skipper ]

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
My Saturday morning started with a doughball (and that is the nicest term I can think of to call this person :shocked: ) come up river right along side us, circle around the front of us in heavy current missing the front of my boat by about 2 feet, :shocked: I was bracing for impact, I thought he was gonna hit us, then he went down the other side of the boat, and cut in behind us hooking my line and ripping off my diver and lure when his prop got me. :mad: :mad: He never even looked back as he went down river. I sort of felt like a corner buoy in a boat race he was trying to get around as quick as he could. :rolleyes:

Guy needed a baseball bat boating lesson out back :mad:

[ 04-20-2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There sure seems to be a lot more doughballs out this year. From guys that drop the hook 20 feet behind you to guys that back troll and hold 10 feet behind your boat. :mad: Gonna start carrying a bale of straw to dribble out to foul their lines. :grin: I wonder if some of these guys do it deliberately or are they just that -------(fill in your own expletive) stupid? I hollered at one guy last week that dropped his hook 20 feet behind my boat and he just smiled and waved. :mad: :mad: Not sure what can be done about these people but if I do what I'd like to do my fishing season would be over. :mad:
Skipper how did ya do? All we got was one #18 nate and one #8 hatchery. I was going to plug cut the #8er and use it for bait. :grin:

[ 04-20-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: lipripper ]

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Pat,

I never got a chance to thank you for your time and showing me how to anchor and navigate around the Columbia. it really helped on my first trip out as the pilot.

Here's to you! :cheers:

Loren

PS: I've found the special sauce you showed me in my coffee helps me to deal with the "doughballs" too.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Man I just love the doughballs. We went out yesterday for about 4 hours to bath some plugs. I had been anchored in the same spot the whole time. I had a couple of Harvard grads troll 15 feet from my stern until they realized they were about to hit me and veered to the right snagging two out of three of my lines. I could have lived with that but about an hour later he did the exact same thing :mad: This time he cost me a K-14. Another hour went by and guess who? This time he was trolling North/South and snagged my line again. I reeled the tangled ball of junk in, told everyone to reel in and brace for impact, cut the stuff off my line, wrapped his line around my cleat, popped anchor, fired up my boat and ran up the MC about half a mile at 3/4 throttle. I never saw them again that day or had another snag :grin: I did have to reel in about 200 yards of mono and dispose of it though :cool: Can't wait till next trip. See ya on the river........

[ 04-20-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Howdy all,
This is where I think the Boater card fails to once again promote safe boating practices. I should throw the word fishing in there but these are just fishing techniques that these guys are messing up in. They should either make you informed when you are getting your boaters card or even fishing liscense. A pamphlet would be nice even Drachirs boating ettiquet should be distributed along with fishing and boating cards and liscences thru out the state of Oregon and Washinton.

Personally I think it is all common sense. When in Rome do as the Romans. Our example yesterday was only one Doughball trolled behind us just far enough he let us fish under his boat. :hoboy: I was amazed he couldn't look around and see no one else doing what he was doing.

Anyways, Safe boating and happy fishing.

:smile: Smily :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts