IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about joining. Are there any disadvantages of not joining a chapter? Are there big differences between the chapters? Do I need to be sponsored?
Your input is appreciated. I live in Oregon City but I don't mind driving.

Thanks!
Finnman

·
Registered
184 Posts
Finnman, Not sure of any disadavatages, but there are quite a few advatages. You get to meet a great group of people that are interested in the same thing as you. Quite a few of them are extremely knowledgable and there are plenty of oppurtunities to learn from them. There are always events that include such things as River clean up with SOLV, Fish alongs, Fish fin clipping, Fish surveys, Free fish day with disadvataged kids. There are even discounts at area Gi Joes. For Me personnally the best advatage is belonging to a group of people that have the same beliefs as me and that is to preserve the outdoors and preserve our fisheries for future generations. I'm not a spokesperson for them i just happen to belong to the Tualatin Valley chapter, and i have really enjoyed being a part of that group. As far as being sponsored the answer is no. It just takes $30.00 a year ( which is tax deductable ). I'm not sure, but i believe there is a chapter near you. Maybe someone else can answer that? Hope this helps K-Dog

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
finnman,

I just joined about 1 and half weeks ago and the website membership enrollment page was not working. I had to call them to sign up. The (very) nice lady told me that there is no advantage or disadvantage to joining a specific chapter, but I think that it might be nice to have a "home" chapter. She also said that you can be active with any of the chapters.

D.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The one real tangible advantage I can see is if a chapter produces a newsletter. Not all chapters do this and it is a great way to keep in touch with what is going on in the chapter. I know it has helped develop our chapter into what it is today because folks can keep track of what is going on even if they can't make it to a meeting and so they stay active.
The intangibles are developing a tight bond with a smaller group of people, getting to know the culture of the chapter etc. Of course you can get involved with one chapter while maintaining "member at large" status. You can also be a member of one chapter and be active in another chapter's activities.
On the differences between the chapters; there are some differences. It is mostly a matter of culture. You will find that the backgrounds, and priorities, vary quite widely between the chapters mostly due to the personal makeup of the people in the chapter. The Tom McCall chapter is different from the Sandy chapter is different from the McLaughlin chapter. My advice if you don't know which to get involved with is to attend a few meetings and shake a few hands and see which makes you the most comfortable.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Finman, join and get involved. You won't regret it. Great satisfaction when you know that you are one of the folks working to improve salmon and steelhead fishing in Oregon. Chapters are different, let no one tell you otherwise. Some are more active than others. That Milwaukie chapter near you is one of the best. Pick a chapter that you have good access to so that you can get to meetings easily. Tigard has a good chapter too, and of course, there's always the mighty Sandy River chapter (meetings within sight of the river). :cheers:

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Finnman, from someone who's been a member-at-large for many years, I'd just like to encourage you to join - there's strength in numbers! Welcome!

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Finnman: You bet join. When you do join you will become part of a fine organization. But''' please do not join just to have your name on a list. Get involved and make a difference. The NWS have been doing just that for more years than I can remember. Jerry

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input! Ifishers are great. I will join and maybe go to a few different meetings.

Thanks again,
Finnman :tongue:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts