IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I posted on a salty dogs forum (Just being my sarcastic self). :grin:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica"> Salmon Blood shed on Sea Jypzee
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Make sure your ol' doggie did't lick it up! :grin:

Actually there isn't that big a chance they will get salmon poisong from salmon caught in the salt.

I was told by a vet years ago when Mason got salmon poisoning that it is a parisite that comes from a fresh water snail that is ingested by salmon, steelhead and trout usuallly after they have re-entered fresh water.

He told me there was documented instances where dogs have got it from ocean caught salmon but very rare.

He also told me that once they experience salmon poisoning, they rarely get it again.

Dan </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

[ 07-03-2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Ive lived on rivers more than not since coming to oregon and 4 out 5 of my dogs have got it, and all 4 survived. Death is avoidable if treated soon enough (todays treatments are superior to even 10 years ago), and its an understatement that they rarely get it again. Not a bad time of year to bring up the topic Dan, Keep your eyes peeled folks, and know what to do if your dogs is strangely ill after any chance it might have ingested uncooked salmon.

As far as my "opinion" what opinion are you looking for? if I felt you were sarcastic? I didnt see it, but then again, I am known as Mr sarcasm to some.

[ 07-03-2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as my "opinion" what opinion are you looking for?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The opinion you gave. Thanks!

Guess I wasn't being sarcastic, just one of my feeble attemts of humor on a serious subject. Ifish has some serious subjects/debates and I was in a good mood (considering my health problems) and I felt like a happy note.

I meet folks all the time that are confused about salmon poisioning and the info I recieved from that vet 3 or 4 years ago is his opinion and doesn't mean it is fact.

Kind of makes me wish I would have asked the vet that Mason saw the other day what his opinion on the matter was.

Thanks for the reply C-O-T-L (too long of a name)!

Dan

[ 07-03-2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Jamie (my pooch) totally ignored the salmon. Not sure if she's had poisoning before or not honestly.

I had a dog when I lived in Alaska, Ring, she used to run down to the river and roll in the dead salmon bodies rotting on the banks. She'd come home stinking sooooo bad!! I literally had to take the hose out and just hose her down on more than one occasion. She never got sick, she just smelled like it! :shrug:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,260 Posts
SJ: Dogs in Alaska don't get it because they don't have the snail up there. I believe about Vancouver Island (may be further north) is the northern limit.

[ 07-03-2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Dan - A few years ago, a friend's wife was walking their lab around the docks at Chinook, Wa., waiting for us to come in. She never saw a trace of salmon but the dog came down with salmon poisoning just the same. I know the salmon there were only in fresh water below the Astoria bridge.

My vet told me that the snail infests the salmon on the way downstream and they carry it their whole lives. I often have Nick with me so we bleed all salmon over the side before they come aboard, then they go straight into the fish box or cooler. Then I do a quick boat inspection to make sure we didn't leave a drop of blood anywhere, then Nick gets the run of the boat again. He will be 7 on August 13 and so far, no salmon poisoning.

I have tetracycline on hand in case he shows a symptom. The vet will sell it to you before the dog gets sick if you ask for it.

I also understand that more than one type snail causes the poisoning and a dog can be re-infected if he runs into a different strain.

[ 07-04-2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow Steve, I didn't realize there was different strains!

Yes, tetracycline did do the trick with Mason and the vet also said it would take care of the worms (parisites) he had at the time and it did.

My problem with the vet at the time is I told him it was probable poising of some type. It cost me $181.00 to figure out it was salmon poisining and a lot of extra money, I thought.

So after all the bloodwork, etc, it turned out to be just that. (bloodwork doesn't show it if I recollect).

I was told later that some tetracycline from the local feed store would cure it.

But you know how those "kids" are?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Just found Salmon Poisoning article from Showdog-magazine.com about Salmon Poisoning. Contains lots of what appears useful information, as well as symptoms for those who may not be familiar with what to watch out for, and why.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
This topic makes me wonder , I know a guy that catches salmon in a river in alaska and splits them don to the tail and then dries them in the wind. then all winter that is what he feeds his sled dogs :shrug: Do the dogs just become use to it or what? cheers Rich

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Have "salmoned" all my dogs by 6 months. The immunity seems to be passed down through the generations in my labs as only 2 sisters I owned in the early 80's ever got sick. The others are related all the way back, and munch on salmon collars fresh, as well as the backbone alonside our cats. They never have been sick.
Forewarned is forearmed, so be aware. The treatment is still the same as it was 20 years ago--tetracycline and an IV if they are dehydrated. Most dogs recover easily if you don't let it go more than a couple of days. Take it for what it's worth, but I let them stay sick for a day, then hit 'em with the meds. I believe it boosts their immunity to fight it, then kill the bug with drugs.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Dogs in Alaska, as well as dogs here on the rivers in Tillamook are bound to get salmon poisoning.

Therefore, I've heard from many sources that they give the dog salmon blood on purpose, so that they can watch for it, be prepared, and get it overwith.

Both my dogs have had it, but since we watch so closely, and have the medication on hand, we started treating them right away, and it was little more than the likes of a 24 hour flu.

One vomit, one meal missed, and all better the next day.

Now, Kilchis and Dee Dee drag up salmon, roll in it, eat it, etc... and they are fine.

Jen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts