IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well, I thought of NO BETTER way to get a few inside tips from those who have traveled north to Alaska, specifically, the Nushagak River.

We're staying at Travis Moncriefs, Fins, Feathers & Furs tent camp and was wondering if there are a few essential items we'll need to bring, that you WISH you had brought while there.

Items like extra towels, some of your own "special" gear, long johns, flashlights and so on. The last thing I want to do is bring along things I'll never use, but bring things I should have thought of!

Let me know...Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'll ask my cousin. He went last year and is going again this year.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Scott,

The main thing for you to take is lots of memory for your digital camera so you can post the pics here for all of us that can't go to enjoy! :grin: I spent nearly three weeks in Travis' camp last year and there's really nothing out of the ordinary you need to worry about. His camp is plush and very well supplied, from awesome fishing gear (all new Shimanos this year fitted on G.Loomis rods) and incredible food, to quite possible the best shower in all of Alaska (rigged somehow where there is always hot water, whether you're the first in or the last). There was mosquito coils to burn in your tent before you turn in for the night. Do this for an hour before you go to bed, zip the tent up tight, and you shouldn't have any problems.

So really, all you should have to worry about bringing is a comfortable pillow (regardless of the fact it won't ever get dark, you will get tired from being out all day), a hearty appetite (nothing like homemade maple bars to start off a day of salmon fishing!), and quite possibly some muscle pain reliever (from fighting fish all day long!).

If you can't tell, I'm extremely jealous! Next year, I will be back there, I promise you that. Once you experience salmon fishing on the Nush, it is very addicting.

P.S. Just read your part about bringing stuff you won't need. This really applies to the flashlight. Look outside about 5:00 AM - that's about as dark as it will get up there.

[ 06-09-2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: blackdog ]

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
A can of "instant sleep!"

How can you sleep when it's light all the time and the fish are biting?

Jen

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Well, it does get dusky and all. Even dark for a couple of hours.

As far as "special" gear, the only thing I would recommend is to take up a couple of lures that you have serious questions about their ability to catch fish. Everything else will work!

The only time mosquitos got really bad was for the after dinner fishing. One of my buds brought some hoods with small mesh veils that we would wear for a few hours then. The 100% deet would in essence keep them off us, but the netting would keep them from flying up your nose, getting in your eyes, your ears and your mouth. Highly recommended. We looked like seal commandos too!

The weather is mild this time of year up there. I brought some long johns but never got close to yarding them out. Bring the rain gear of course, but also bring the sunglasses. Weather changes. Kinda reminded me of a typical Portland early May.

Binocs are cool - you will likely see plenty of Moose - and for sure lots of film or digital storage.

Although I was at a different camp, I'm sure Travis will take care of the essentials and more. Keep in mind there is no liquor store in the 'hood.

I am not jealous. I am not jealous. I am not jealous.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You might want to bring SOME WATER! After talking with Travis' dad last night (who's been in contact with Travis), it sounds as though they had a pretty dry winter, no snowpack and the river sounds like the river is lower now than I've ever seen it at the end of the season!

Blackdog, I'm going to miss your smiling face up there this year, but I'll see if I can't catch a Sockeye or two in your honor (as long as I don't fall down!) I guess the water is so low already that you can't even go up that left side of the island to our "Sockeye Spot" you have to go clear around by that nasty camp then up the long way!
That's lower than I've seen it...ever!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm thinking back when I was up there and bug dope wasn't allowed. It really did scare off fish for three guys. I was told your best bug dope is "don't shower"! Worked pretty good after three days! My list of gear would consist of rain gear and long johns but don't foget a t-shirt and a pair of shorts! The weather changes- like here! Also take along a few Mag-Warts and Kwikies! The daylight thing is nothing! Like Jen said, who can sleep with all those fish around anyway! You're in for the time of your life!! Enjoy!!
GotZem!

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Oh, Deet is supposedly really bad to use around fishing gear. If you really want to get somebody, put a few drops on their Mag Wart and watch them whine for an hour before telling them why they aren't getting any bites!

Just make sure you wipe it off cleanly with a towel you don't want to use anymore!

Not that I would know of anyone who has done that! :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Scott, When are you going? I'm going on the 20th. Hope to see you there. Travis told me to bring the Deet, so did Marty and Chris Vertroplis who has also fished up there.
I have my can but I wouldn't think of spraying any on the bait. E-mail me back with your dates and we can compare notes. Good Luck. Dave

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's a funny thing, I've heard for years that DEET repels fish as well as insects. So, with that thought in mind, I was working for another outfitter a few years back and the fishing at first was tough. The fish hadn't showed in any good numbers and we were using bait which at the time was a scarce commodity as we weren't catching enough hens to keep our supply up.

So, one evening as I was getting ready for the next day of fishing I was at our bait supply when "super guide" comes along and says "how many hens did you get today?" I replied, "today was a buck day for us." He then said, "Well, we caught those hens today and these eggs are MINE!"

I thought about that for a bit, as we were all working as a team for an outfitter that brought the clients in to fish with us all, so I just said "If they're YOUR EGGS, go ahead, I'll fish something else".

Then, the plan hit me... If this greedy sucker wanted all the eggs in camp, I'd make sure they weren't going to work quite as well as he thought.

Down to his boat I go, with nothing other than a small bottle of 99.9% liquid DEET. I open his bait container, and empty contents of the bottle on HIS EGGS (I shared my plan with the other guides in camp who all agreed that justice would be served).

Now, we have clients in camp and these clients have placed 10 bank rods with different bait out in the water plunking and nothing is biting.

"Super Guide", then comes down to try his luck. He reaches into the container in his boat with the tainted eggs, and the rest of us wait for a good laugh.

"Super Guide" puts his offering upstream from the other 10 rods in line, and within no time at all, we hear "Fish-On", yep you guessed it, "Super Guide" is hooked up. Those fish heading upriver left 10 other rods with good bait and took the last one tainted with DEET!

We thought, that has to be a fluke. But, it wasn't his rod went off time after time to prove it!

I haven't put DEET on any lure or bait before or since that episode...but, sometimes I wonder why not?!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't know if they have left handed reels there yet, they didn't when I was there 3 years ago but they may have some now. Don't worry about Kwick fish as they have plenty of those. The tents are surprisinly Mosquito free, they are a bright white and you can see them on the walls, just kill them before you turn in. The only thing I would take next time is my favorite pillow, raingear and personel items and a left handed reel if you find out that they still don't have any.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Is this the same 'super guide' that was last seen tumbling down the banks of the Nush after testing his ability to withstand the gale forces created by the props of a float plane?
Never forget that scene. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :wink: :grin:

Also, I believe that Travis ordered about a third of his reels in lefties this year. Maybe couldv'e been more but he uses righties and can't understand why so many of us are backwards. :wink: :wink:

[ 06-09-2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: blackdog ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just thought of one other thing, you may want to take all of the patience that you can muster for the Dillingham Airport.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm heading to Travis' camp on the 26th. Can't wait, as it is my first time up. I'm going with my dad, my grandpa, my cousin and my two uncles. Should be a trip of a lifetime for us!

On a mission- good luck up there, make sure and save some fish for us....just kidding, I think there will be plenty around from what I hear.

As far as the left hand reels go, I asked travis about that and he said that he would have lefties available. Not sure how many extras he has though, so bringing an extra one might not be a bad deal. Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would want anything other than a left hand reel unless you were left handed, than you should opt for a right handed one....that's just me though

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey alright....!

Lot's of votes for DEET!

What else do we have here.....A can of "go to bed", No flashlight, maybe a few plugs that have never worked for me here, a shotgun and extra shells for the mosquitos, pillow, another can of DEET, Binocs, Film...(I won't have to worry about that one), maybe a little Booz, BenGay, Wristbands for fishing tendonitus, Left hand reels, Sunglasses, raingear, and maybe one more can of DEET.

I liked the idea of head netting for the skeeters...where would a person find one of those things? Bee Keepers Emporium :grin:

Marty....I hope to have you guide one of the days we're there.. Maybe go after some of those Pike in the back water areas with your secret "red-dipped" Wiggle Warts.

On a mission....I'll be seeing you at the Dillingham Airport because we're going to be there the exact same time. The 21st-26th. We'll have to talk.

And yes...I'll bring my patience.

Scott

·
Registered
535 Posts
When I was guiding up there what worked best for the bugs was hooded sweater always with the hood up and I would use latex gloves with rubber bands around my wrist then every day I would just heavy spray oof all over the sweater and I mean heavy seemed to slow them down some but can get hot some days a must in my book though!!! I would recommend a small bottle of pautzke's ball of fire juice too always gave me a little edge on my eggs up there for some reason. Oh yeah some Ben Gay for that sore arm your going to get!!!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Oh- and one more thing another can of deet. Get the 100% stuff, not that cheap "off" stuff.

When we were camped out you quickly learn that putting on the deet is the FIRST thing you do in the morning. Especially when the SECOND thing you gotta do is go out behind a tree and give them skeeters a nice tender target. :shocked: :grin:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Hey Mel, Travis has some nice "behind the door" plumbing I bet! Still might be a good use for pre-deeting though.

Scott - don't get the cans. Get the small bottle(s). A couple drops go a long way.

I think my buddy got the hoods from Andy and Bax. I will check with him. Instead of bee-keeper, think more olive green covert commando wear. The mesh can fold up and out of the way when the skeeters die down a bit and leave a reasonable piece of headgear.

If you want to fish Pike in the back water, take along a sticky paper mouse trap or two. Catch a couple live camp voles and put them on a hook. Just cast them out in a likely spot. Then watch out!! Those Pike will shoot 30 yards for one of those critters scooting toward cover. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

When we got to the Dillingham airport, the "Goose" was already on a mission. After a quick call out to camp, the very friendly and nice lady explained it would be an hour or so before we could be taken out, so in the mean time she gave us a chore.

"Get in that Ford Courier pickup in the driveway. The keys are in it. Follow the road out of the airport and turn left. If you miss the turn it doesn't matter because the road ends in another mile anyway and you'll have to turn around. Take the road into town until you get to the market. You'll know when you get to it because it is the only one there. Here's $20, get four dozen eggs for your camp."

Welcome to the last frontier!

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts