IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a week ago asking where to dig for Sand Shrimp. I didn't get many responses. Well, I can tell you where to go now. Try Tillamook Bay, Garabaldi across from the Coast Guard Station or anywhere in the bay by the looks of it, Seaside where the Necanicam river flows in, Sand Lake, Lincoln City. These are just a few places. I went to Garabaldi today and sucked three hundred in about one and a half hours :dance: . These are the same beauties you buy in any store that sells them. Very easy to do. I was amazed. I am willing to go out on a limb and say that if you combine all the sculpin and crabs in all the bays you still couldn't touch the number of Sand Shrimp there are out there. It really is amazing. I don't see myself ever buying them again. Two or three guys splitting the gas gets the cost down to the point where I can use two shrimp per cast all day every day of the week and not worry about it. They should last about two weeks I'm told. We will see about that. What do all of you do to preserve your shrimp? Freeze them? Any help appreciated. Thankyou, SPACE

·
Registered
603 Posts
Glad you found them!

I have no idea how to preserve them - living at the beach I just go dig some more.

Two things will help though - put a bucket with small holes in it inside another so that they don't sit in their own drainage and keep them cool.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good job on the pumping. I normally pump my shrimp in Nehalem Bay. Now the hard part; keeping them alive. You need to give them some space and I've found that large rubbermaid type containers have worked best for me. Also need to put paper towels on the bottom to soak up their urine. That's what kills them. Change the towel at least everyother day. Keep the containers in the refrigator with the lids cracked. Never have tried to freeze them; it's my understanding that if frozen they become too soft to use for drift fishing.

What size were your shrimp? Most of the ones I get at Nehalem I would classify as medium sized. Always like to use the large size for the chinooks.

Great job and glad to hear you enjoyed the outing.
Cheers, FATFISH....

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I take them and place them in a tupperware container with holes poked in it, full of fresh moss that has been moistend with water and then squeeze the water out. After one week re-wet the moss and squeeze dry leaving it moist. Keep cool in fridge. When in the field I place refreezeable blue ice bag under tupperware container in cooler. They must remain cool if you want them to last. They will keep a full 2 weeks with this method. Also keep in the dark (lid closed on cooler) while not using..they seem light sensitive and will die much faster. :wink:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou, consider it done. About the size. Most were in the middle range. There were some that topped the scales though. Would like to get more large ones. Must need to find a spot where they don't bothered much. Hey, is there too much fresh water for the shrimp at Desmona Sands? With the gator season just getting started it would be nice to pump a few right where I fish em.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
HI,I missed your posting on where to get sandshrimp earlier.When I used to be a 4-wheeler
we used to go to the bay at Sandlake, Ore. and used clam guns to get our shrimp for Flounder fishing off the beach.You can gun up a bunch in a real short time.Oh Yeah,when the tides out can't get there when its high. :grin:
Bob

[ 05-11-2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey fshklr. you don't have to do anything but remoist the moss once a week? I live at netarts bay, I keep mine in a cooler full of fresh bay water that I replace every other day and keep an airator in the water but ten days seem to be max. the moss thing would be a lot easier then what I have been doing.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I'm new to this subject, but would love to do it to have some bait on hand. I've heard of pumping shrimp and actually saw a shrimp "gun" I guess it's called when I was down at Sportsman's Warehouse last Thursday. How does this all work? :shrug: Anyone got a good pic so I can visualize with the explination of how to pump shrimp? Thanks in advance!

-jokester

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Backbouncer,
I purchase my sandshrimp retail, so the above mentioned moss method I posted works great. I take them imediately from purchase container and place into my moss contained tupperware w/holes. Be sure moss has been rinsed prior to use and is DAMP not WET when in use. The numbers in your container will tell you how often to RE-RINSE your moss (I usually do 2 dozen at a time) and don't overcrowd. Keeping them cool and in the dark are also the key to success for live sandshrimp. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts