IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I witness a guy and his dad kill the chinook on a homemade spinner. How many of you fish with spinners for chinook? (from a boat, like a kwikfish)

With all the talk about alvins and baitwrapped kwikies I was amazed to see this guy pull out this spinner and have a fish on in less than 10 minutes. We had to give him a hard time because he turned it loose because it had too many fins :grin: . But, they landed two more between him and his dad on spinners while we only caught one on a kwikfish. The spinner was blue bodied with a chrome blade that seems to be the color that is working well this year.

Stories?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
spinners

#21 but with a bit smaller green eye with 5 green tee beads and a 4/0 owner treble.

But to answer your question...spinners are often the go-to. A bit of a zipper on the river in front of me. If the hoglines are dozing off with thier qwikies and herring, you bet I'll be trolling a spinner. They work!

Funny but you dont often see anyone use alvins down here either.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'm with Row vs Wade,
I have caught more fish trolling spinners than any other way, probably because that is how I fish for them 90% of the time. I like the half brass and half chrome blade TeaSpoon spinner with red body. I used to say the largest you can find, but I saw one at the new fishing store in Salem(name left out intentionally-not an Ifish sponsor) the other day that looked to be about two feet long and weight five pounds. (exaggeration of course but fishermen always do!) Anyway, I fish a pretty large spinner and troll as slow as you can go and keep the blade spinning. Also add a little shrimp oil every 5-10 minutes, most of the fish I catch are right after applying scent.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Montana:
Why did he throw back a Chinook with to many fins, you can keep a Chinook with to many fins right now.??
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">He asked us when he pulled up about "natives" and he had a smile on his face. We thought he was joking because a mutual friend threw back 4 a few days prior because they had too many fins. He had a fish on with in a half hour of anchoring, dropped anchor and fought the fish about 1/4 mile downriver. We saw him net it and the excitement (for us) was gone. On his way back one of the guys I was with said, "I didn't see him bonk that fish?" He pulled up and we asked where's the fish? He said, "it had too many fins" :rolleyes:

We kind of felt bad but,
YOU GOTTA READ YOUR REGS!!

The guy didn't believe us when we told him that he could keep nates. He landed another before I landed mine and looked kinda worried about having it in his boat.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Spinners never work when trolling for salmon. :wink: :grin: All I know is that they absolutlely hate the red body/gold blade combination. They attack it like.........SHHHH
Dang, cat's out of the bag. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dance:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
At bouy 10 this year my brother fished exclucively with rainbow spinners,I stuck to my plugg cuts, some days he kicked my butt,others I had more but atleast he never had to worry about what his bait looked like or how it was spinnin. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
spinners do not work especially for fall chinook in tillamook bay. they are almost as bad as herring for fish b10 and we all know that they dont work!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts