IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I saw these Lamiglass Norwest Specials and they look like a pretty good rod for the money. Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it? Or has anyone heard about them? And does Lamiglas have a good reputation about getting rods fixed if they break?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
they are supposedly the same blank as the g1000 with cheaper components. i dont have one of the Norwest Specials. I dont think they will give you the same warranty on the cheaper rods as the g1000 series.

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
They aren't the same blank, there made in China me thinks. The warranty isn't the same, and they aren't a good value at all IMHO. Go with a Berkley, better warranty and better feel. Lamiglas rods below the Certified Pro Level, SUCK. They are Over Priced, stiff, and the warranty can be a real hassle. If you want a G1000 series get a Rogue or GL2.

Ryan

[ 04-23-2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
As you can see from the above, you'll get as many opinions about this topic as there are fishermen. I had one of the older Norwest specials - bought it in 94 and it was the best springer rod I ever had. Broke it last year on a fish and Lamiglas took the rod and $40 and gave me a brand new backbouncer. I like the Lamiglass Rods, backbouncers and pro-bouncers, but I'm kind of hooked on the Rogue one piece backbouncer rods now.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I really do like the CL2 a lot. I'm just trying to see if there's a rod out there that is close to the CL2 but not so expensive, I guess I'll just have to step up.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
the norwest rods are a 500 series rod not 1000 series i have owned a few they seem to be a softer rod that my 1000 or esprie or im700 rods thy are an entry level rod and work well for that and for backup rods. the norwest rods are blue the 1000 are black

·
Registered
673 Posts
I a have Norwest Special and it is the choice for bigger fish or bigger water. It got tipped (broken) somehow and I took it to Lamiglass. They gave me a new top half matched the one I had perfectly. Lamiglass folks are as quality as their poles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a north west special 8ft6 12-25 and I use it for everything. steelhead, salmon, sturgen...I love it. I plan on buying another one 8-12lb. the ones to stay away from are the cascade pro model that bi-mart sales. They are made in China and in my case they break way too easy. but Bi-mart replaces them if they break on a fish ...I Know. :smile:

By the N.W.S. at GI Joes when they go on sale for 89.00 they do every year, and you can't beat it.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
I have a 8'6" 8-12 it's a bit stiff in the tip but it works just fine mine has caught chums to 15 and nooks to 25. Since rods rarely just break.. I MEAN RARELY!!!! i have no problem with a rod with no warrentee. so warentees are not an issue. However lami has excellent customer service.

I want to underscore this point rods rarely break because of defects they break because people have accidents and abuse them.
if you know how to treet equipment go up to the lami factory outlet and buy a 2nd for 1/2 the price

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a Norwest Special 12-25 and use it for steelhead, salmon and sturgeon on the Columbia. I even caught my biggest keeper sturgeon on it last May at Astoria, 56". :shocked: I've been happy with it but then I've never used any of the top dollar rods. :cheers:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Excellent value for the dollar.

Lamiglas is a class outfit that stands behind their product as well or better than any factory out there.

You just can't beat them. :shrug:

[ 04-23-2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Can't top that post Straydog, big thumbs up.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Times are tough right mow. Let's hope that Lamiglas will be able to ditch the cheaper overseas product lines. Love their U.S. rods. Fish them almost exclusively. If you can afford it, step up and buy a higher end Lamiglas rod. They are worth the extra money. I think the one piece rods have the best actions. Good luck and good shopping.

D.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have an 8'6 10-20 med hvy that i use for drift fishing and love it ..ive never had any problems with it and has always been a favorite with me ..i also have a 7'9 12-25 hvy with extra fast tip for pulling plugs ive only had the latter for a few months but so far no complaints

·
Registered
792 Posts
The Norwest specials have the same blank as the G1000 series. The difference is one less guide and a less expensive reel seat. That's it. They have the same warranty as all the other Lamiglass rods.

All I use are Lami's. IMO, the Norwest Specials are a great value, although I use my G1000's much more frequently. I'll stay with what works for me. The folks in Woodland have always been great, particularly when I bring in one of their rods that I've broken or have needed repair.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have a Lamiglass Northwest special one piece 7 foot 9 inch rod 12-25 lb. I feel it is a great plug rod, and use it regularly as a backup to my Loomis. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts