IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Definitely Boice!! My next boat will no doubt be a Boice, that is if my wife will ever let me sell the Weldcraft adn get a new one!!

Boice Jet has all, if not more, options that a North River has except they look much nicer!! The way I see it, you get an overly-functional fishing boat that looks like a wakeboarding boat :dance:

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Can I ask one clarifying question? What models are you comparing?

G

·
Fish4,
It's better to see them in the prosses of being built. Then be in one on the water. The Boice family builds a better boat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I must say i like the looks of boice and I have been in a few of them. They run like flipping race boats corner well but they don't fish for S***. Round bottom when you are anchored likes to wander same when back trolling or boondogging and hard as hell to keep straight when trolling. you alwayas have to have a hand on the wheel when driving the boat always wants to turn! Remeber the starters of jet boating the New Zelanders use to run radias bottoms and found out all the defects and went back to more of a std design. My .02

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Haven't been in a Boice, haven't seen them built. I've seen Northriver's built and I've owned one for 3 years and my opinion based on that is nobody builds a better boat than Northriver.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
North River, because you have way more boats, hull designs and lengths to choose from. SJs, inboard v8s, outboards and flatbottoms to ocean going Seahawks.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
This is a hard choice. These are the only two sleds I would own and I currently have a 19ft NR Sportjet. Fantastic boat. Does everything very well. The Boice is sexier in finish but I agree that the radius hull, while turning will slide less, will not track as well trolling. Also their new Euro type hull puts a long angle down to the swim platform, making kicker placement and rod fighting clearance almost as bad a stretch as twin OB's on a bracket. One thing I love about Boice is their V-6 Vortec short coupling putting reliable efficient 230hp in a box not any bigger than the Merc Optimax doghouse. Also check out the Marathon Marine line that Boice picked up. Have fun.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Keta,

I would rather have a boat that fishes well, than a "pretty" go fast boat. As far as how all of the top jet boats are built, they are all built nice. Just some have more creature comforts than others. Hull design, is a little different for each manufature too. As far as the hulls, almost ALL of the boats are built using 5086 bottoms. Some may have 5052 material for sides but that is about the only diference. I have been to the factories and looked at most of the jet boats built in the Northwest. As a certified weld inspector, I think I am more than qualified to look at how aluminum boats are built.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Boice boats are pretty and sleek. But the North Rivers are both eye candy and a great fishing machine. Go with NR....the better all around choice in my opinion :cool:

Jfool

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Are they priced about the same?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I've never been in a better peforming jet boat at full throttle than a Boice. Full throttle and hard over it sticks tight.

On the othe hand....listen to CRK. Don't take your hand off the wheel, or away she goes.

Certainly NR builds a nice boat, but IMHO you pay a bit more for the name. But they've also earned it.

Me, I'd buy an Asaltor. After spending a year running one in Alaska, I'm sold.

G

·
Fish4,
I am only going by the workmanship and design, not looks. I would rather have a steel boat than an aluminum one :shocked:

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I've never driven a Boice, but it would truly be amazing if it corners better than the North River. Mine corners like it's on rails. More important, in the two years I've owned it, it has consistently proved itself as a fishing machine. No slam against the Boice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
North River builds a top notch fishing boat of which several models to choose from. Boice builds a nice race boat that they are trying to sell to fisherman. If you wanna go racing, look at boice, if you want to fish then make the obvious choice.
:shrug: :sleep:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts