IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a venting problem with my boat that I don't understand. I'm hoping some Northriver owners out there might have some input. I have a 2002 Northriver Mariner. I've always had venting problems on hot days in the summer while it's in my garage but today took the cake. I don't fill it up with gas after using it, not wanting to store it in the hot garage. Yesterday, a little gas was seeping out of the filler neck so I opened the cap a bit. Today, it was still seeping out and had spilled on the garage floor. So I pulled the boat out of the garage and put it on a slight incline, bow up, and gas starts running out my drain hole at the stern. The bottom of the boat, underneath the floorboards, is full of gas!! It must be coming out the vent on the tank but it shouldn't do that, should it. I've also been really wondering if, when I fill it up, it's really been filling it up. I've filled it up, questioned it, and then tried again a while later. Obviously, I've got a vent problem but any input would help. Thanks.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Just to be sure, I'd check to see if tank hasn't ruptered or is defective?? :shocked:
Hope you get it figured with little problems and expense.

Also check fuel lines and fill tube connections.

[ 06-27-2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a 1995 seahawk, that I have been told is the same as the mariner of late. I have had a gas problem but mine always came out the vent and on to the ground. I have sence put in a little inline pressure stopper, that is basically a little plastic tube with a ball in it. If the gas surges it pushes the ball up and does not let it escape, when the ball is down it allows vapor to escape. This was about ten bucks at fishermans. I also store with the bow as low as possible during the hot weather, this allows vapor to escape and not liquid. I have never had gas under the floor. I would take the boat back and have it checked out. Good Luck.
:cheers:

[ 06-27-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: aquaglide ]

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I have had a small amount of gas come out of the vent in the transom on very hot days with a full tank. If you have gas coming out your drain, you have a very serious problem. I would take it in immediately.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I posted on this subject awhile back. A friend of mine has (had) the exact same problem except that the gas leaking out took the paint off of the hull... to make a long story short... After some other serious issues... Northriver has installed a fix for the gas venting and agreed to repaint the boat. Apparently a couple people may be looking for work and the most recent that they (my friends) have been dealing with are pleasant and accomodating. This is a re-curring problem... take the boat back right away... Northriver should take care of it. Good luck. zip

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Kerblooey!!! Just waiting to happen....... :shocked:

And if your boat is less than 20 feet, your problem is a whole lot worse. All that under-floor flotation is now saturated, depending on the amount of gasoline that has escaped, either with liquid gas or at least with gas fumes. And that will be a long-term problem. If that is the case, Northriver should pull the floorboards and replace them, along with any other contaminated flotation.

[ 06-28-2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
553 Posts
Definately want to have that looked at. I would keep the boat outside, take off (and leave off) all the floorboards. Gas fumes are heavier than air, so make sure they can dissipate safely. Keep the drain plug out of the boat.

The first thing I would check is the worm drive clamps on the fuel and vent line fittings. They can get looser as the rubber lines shrink up as they are squeezed. Tighten them with a socket, it works much better than a screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Tyee Tom,
Man I would take it across town to Southside marine there in big C. I was in there friday looking at a new outboard. They seem to be good people. If they cant help out to your satisfaction, I'll e-mail a phone # to Northrivers new guy for customer service, I've known him for a lot of years, and I think that he can help you alot if the dealer dosn't come thru.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by aquaglide:
I have a 1995 seahawk, that I have been told is the same as the mariner of late. I have had a gas problem but mine always came out the vent and on to the ground. I have sence put in a little inline pressure stopper, that is basically a little plastic tube with a ball in it. If the gas surges it pushes the ball up and does not let it escape, when the ball is down it allows vapor to escape. This was about ten bucks at fishermans. I also store with the bow as low as possible during the hot weather, this allows vapor to escape and not liquid. I have never had gas under the floor. I would take the boat back and have it checked out. Good Luck.
:cheers:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">i would realy not like to open your fuel cap on a hot day, must be alot of pressure inside of your tank, and, even though your vent hose is hooked up to the rear of the tank i`d bet money that there is a tube running inside the tank to the front of it, you cannont vent a boat tank properly from the rear of the tank, but then again, what do i know :hoboy:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I have an 02 Seahawk, 22 foot with the big tank - 93 gallons I think. I sporadically have gas spewing out my vent on hot days but if I know it's going to be hot and the bow tilted down (I think the vent hose is on the front of my tank) I loosen the gas cap and it doesn't spew.

Mine isn't that big of an inconvenience so I haven't taken it back, but yours sounds more serious. You definitely don't want gas fumes anywhere in your boat - it's very dangerous and you shouldn't ignore it. I'm an attorney and I had a case a few years ago where a piece of equipment spilled gas on someone's garage floor. He opened up the garage door with the electric garage door opener the next morning and it blew him all the way out on the street and his wife is covered in 3rd degree burns over 70% of her body - she should have died but somehow survived. Anyway, I take leaking gas very seriously now. I think I'm going to get the check valve put in mine that aquaglide talked about.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have a friend who's NR Sportster does it. North River in Clackamas said you need to store the boat with the bow down. :shrug: Go figure, you put the drain in the back, but they want you to store it in the opposite direction of the run-off. :whazzup:

I told him to take it back and tell them to take the boat and stuff it somewhere, until they fix the problem. They say there is no problem. :mad:

STZII had the same problem on his Alumaweld. Stevens Marine put a larger vent hose and it doesn't do it anymore.

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
I have a NR Sportster as well. It's unfortunate, but the design of the boat requires the boat to be stored more or less level, or with the bow slightly down, in order for the vent to be effective. It would have been better if the tank was vented at the front, but that is not to be. Not the most serious design flaw I've ever seen. I just fill up at the beginning, rather the end of trips, and there is then enough room that I don't have a problem.

However, while mine will blow gas out the vent, that doesn't and shouldn't cause gas in the bilge. When I received my boat, after about a week, the gasket around the sending unit disintegrated, and caused significant gas in the bilge. No Good! However, a 1.50 gasket later, I'm good to go. I'd look at the sending unit.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My Duckworth does the same thing if filled all the way up then parked in the heat. I had the bow down as far as possible but it was still spilling gas out the vent. I siphoned a gallon or so out to stop the flow but was still getting some seapage out the vent. Seems like the vent hose should be closer to the front of the tank for better venting when stored. I would like to hear what the dealer tells you for a solution to the problem. -Steve

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
IMHO, you guys are making a big mistake putting check valves in your vent lines, if the pressure cant be relieved through the vent or the fuel cap the only other hose is hooked to your engine, no thanks, its an open fuel system and it should not be made into a closed system. i personaly dont want a pressurized bomb sitting in my garage, good luck.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
My North River Commander puked gas out of the vent also. I agree with Silver Hilton. I fill up on the way out and loosened my filler cap a little when not in use. No furthur problems.I did call Northriver and told them about it. For the amount of money we pay for these things you would think that it should not happen. But since the Duckworth had the same type of problem I feel better now.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Sounds dangerous. You did the right thing getting it out of the garage. Hope you can get the problem solved.

:wink: I know I'm goind to take a lot of crap for this but here goes. Hopefully some of the other( ) boat owners will save my hinney. Please don't take this wrong.

BUY ALUMAWELD.

[ 06-29-2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Small Fry ]

G

·
:depressed: DO NOT START YOUR BOAT!!! :depressed: TAKE IT BACK ASAP AND GET IT FIXED! You have a potential bomb that can kill you.

PS:
Tell your wife or survivors to sue North River if you die from their poor design and fabrication.

[ 06-29-2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.