IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw these @ GI Joes last week and saw they were made by WW Grigg in Aurora (or at least the tag said thats where to send them for repair). Anyone know anything about these?? I am looking for a good rockfish/salmon/steelhead/anything else kinda rod in the $50 range.
thanks

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Russ,
I own a 8.5' North X Northwest IM856LS, IM6 Graphite, and it's caught a lot of fish. I use it only for steelhead, and I've never had problems with it. I don't know how much it was, I got it as a gift. If you can get one for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it. I do use a much heavier rod for rockfish/pearch/greenling/etc, but I bet you could make it work for all your uses.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I owned a north x northwest rod and was bobber fishing for nooks thats all this rod was for and it had caught quite a few. I hooked into a 35pd + nook and fought it for quite a while until the rod just snapped right in half and thats the end of my experince with these rods.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
I love them. Good price, good return policy. I own a few of the fly rods and they are my favorites, they get the most use I have to say.
go for it!

·
Registered
886 Posts
i have two heavy action nxnw rods for bobber fishing, both have bad reel seats i have a different reel on both rods and both of them wiggled back and forth, so i applied silicon to the seats and that took out the play.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I have a 8 1/2 bait casting rod. I think it is 1/2 oz - 1 1/2 oz, 15-35 lb line. It seemed to do fine for the fish that I've caught on it. The biggest fish I've caught on it were Chum Salmon. The price was right about about $40.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I own 2, a 81/2 spinning and a 81/2' bait caster. I love them both especially the spinning rod it has caught many steelhead and has held up just fine. i fished it for 2 years now and no problems, i'm looking to get a 3rd real soon. cant beat the price!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought one two years ago and love it. If I had to buy another rod today it would be another North X.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I've been using Grigg rods since 1997. I have used them on Kenai Kings, Silvers, backbouncing, trolling, flyfishing for reds, boat rods for Halibut, and steelhead drift rods. I've turned more than one person onto these rods. They are tough and have never had one break by defect. Angler error--- yes! Tom and Dave Grigg are both great fishermen and are constantly improving on their product. They build a good variety of rods. And the price is right.

By the way if you want to see these rods in action, and get one of your choice free, book a trip with me for summer steelhead on the Columbia. This is the real deal! Limitted to certain days. Email for details.

[ 05-27-2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Capt. Hook ]

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed at GI Joes there were two 'kinds' of NxNW rods.......some with 'regular' blanks with the normal shiny graphite finish and some matte, looked like they had the finish ground off.....any difference?? Also on the end of the rods they had stickers saying "MADE IN CHINA" is that were the rod components are made? or where the rods themselves are made and then Grigg just imports them? Anyone know?
thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a talk with Grigg at one point and as I recall he designs the stuff - rods and reels - and then outsources quantity from oversees factories to his spec.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I own one of their flyrods and it's a little whippy for me. I do like their fly reels (identical to the Okuma Sierra). They have great customer service and the Griggs have always been helpful when I needed it. I would buy their rods again.

D.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts