IFish Fishing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When OAA became involived with the fall chinook collapse in the Coquille, we tried to get the ODFW to do something quickly and decisively. With only 275 NO fish returning, they decided to study it another year. Failure was the option. So we approached the local tribe and formed a partnership with them. They immediately started getting things done. they wanted community support before they got involved, we were the support they needed.
They approved a million dollar budget, purchased land for their own hatchery and hired their own fisheries biologist. With their help we may good numbers of fish through supplementation in the near future. It is sad we have to turn to a sovereign nation to do what the state can’t do.

·
Registered
17,475 Posts
And the Senate Judiciary Committee does not serve at the pleasure of the governor? It seems to me it has been for a few governors now.
Of course not.
Senators are elected, not appointed. Basic civics.

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've sent notice to the Guv and the oddfew commissioners that the action was reckless and highly improper. I have no expectation of getting a reply, let alone some action, but I feel I've done something besides sitting on my hands.

I cannot recall a commissioner ever being recalled, even with the travesties of Bruce Buckmeister, but I would donate towards any effort to recall those who cast the 4 votes, and especially Jill Zarnowitz for making the motion! And she is a former oddfew employee! I am extremely hopeful that the next guv, red or blue, will not re-appoint the anti-sportsman commissioners.

·
Registered
17,475 Posts
And you think that is all it takes for them to be non partisan? )
How could elected politicians ever be non-partisan?
Why even post that????
The committee does have members from both parties.
Both parties have, at times, been hostile to nominees with strong fish & game credentials.

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone had the opportunity to decipher the "science" these people used to make this decision?

Just wondering if it was at least newer than 5 years old, take a look at the citations of scientific data from the NFS.... 2/3 of the research is no longer available for cross reference.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Has anyone had the opportunity to decipher the "science" these people used to make this decision?
Just wondering if it was at least newer than 5 years old, take a look at the citations of scientific data from the NFS.... 2/3 of the research is no longer available for cross reference.
The native fish society probably should not be used as a source for unbiased, objective literature. The NFS is likely one of the most staunch anti-hatchery non-governmental agencies in the Northwest. To try to be fair, they also promote some less controversial issues.
I would also caution against summarily castigating research more than 5 years old. Much of the landmark work is well older than that. New is not necessarily best, but it does often addresses current topics.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The native fish society probably should not be used as a source for unbiased, objective literature. The NFS is likely one of the most staunch anti-hatchery non-governmental agencies in the Northwest. To try to be fair, they also promote some less controversial issues.
I would also caution against summarily castigating research more than 5 years old. Much of the landmark work is well older than that. New is not necessarily best, but it does often addresses current topics.
Your use of the word “probably” is the understatement of the year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just thought I would throw this group into the mix since most of the anti-hatchery sentiment and research seems to come from these groups.

I don't typically look at one biased viewpoint, I try to be thoughtful of all points and see where each group comes from so I don't come off like a blustering armchair quarterback, so I find it interesting that when the term "current data" is used, that it seems to either be a approximated statement, or irrelevant in terms of what the definition of current is.

We all love fishing, we all love catching fish, we all love eating fish, it just amazes me how some anglers and companies blindly donate money to these non-profits who's ultimate end game is to take all of that away, be it through hatchery shutdowns, or entire river closures.

When data is picked and filtered, then presented, it makes you wonder 🤔...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never fished the Umpqua but filled out the email anyway. I hate to see hatchery programs eliminated anywhere in our state!
It is the best thing that you can do, It is real unfortunate that there is such a thing as hatchery programs being shut down, but the best thing you can do is keep the pressure on the commission, even if they don't respond or respond with something degrading or rhetorical.

·
Registered
603 Posts
As of yesterday, the lawsuit is moving forward. A second one should be filed within a week By the tribes. What is important is that the hatchery 78000 smolts are still alive and well.
I thought the window in time to release steelhead smolts was April. If the lawsuits drag on, the smolts will lose their instinct to migrate, and the Umpqua will get low and warm.

Those smolts need to be released ASAP.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts