IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested in how the discontinuation of the hatchery steelhead in the Umpqua River went down this past week below is a link to the ODFW commission meeting, the presentations and testimony associated with it. Go to the 6:05:20 mark where the process begins. It lasts three to four hours so maybe tackle it in chunks.

No votes came from ( Thank you Commissioners )
  • Commissioner Bob Spelbrink
  • Commissioner Mark Labhart
  • Commissioner Becky Hatfield-Hyde
The yes votes to eliminate hatchery steelhead came from
  • Commission Chair Mary Whal
  • Commissioner Jill Zarnowitz
  • Commissioner Leslie King
  • Commissioner Kathayoon Khalil
This vote to eliminate came after ODFW recommended moving forward with the release of 30K smolts in 2022. A contradiction.
Take a minute and read the the professional attributes each yes vote brings to the table. ODFW Commission Members
I would like to know if each of the no votes even holds a state fishing or hunting license?
Remember that the ODFW Commissioners serve at the pleasure of the governor. With an election this fall one might ask their candidate of choice what their stance on our fishing and hunting issues are? Hopefully you find a candidate that doesn't give you the deer in the headlights look.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I listened to the majority of the discussion, and missed any comments supporting the cessation of the hatchery. It is completely absurd to dispose of the coming smolts; somebody got to them, and not in a good way.

I too suspect that the yes (elimination) votes came from women who do not fish and hunt. We should never forget that license and tag fees used to carry the agency, and still provide the lion's share of their budget.

Simplistically, the yes votes were biting the hand that feeds the agency!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
What is the best way to go about finding which political candidates are pro-hunting/fishing? I'm planning on reading the candidate booklet this week, but don't ever remember seeing any of their campaign promises or agendas geared towards hunting/fishing. This year I want to vote for a candidate that will be the most beneficial to our outdoor lifestyles, regardless of party affiliation.

#politicssuck!

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I think the first question we need to ask is how program elimination was even on the list of staff recommendations given ODFW's own analysis determined the hatchery program was not a driver in wild summer steelhead abundance. If the recommendation was embedded in the CMP framework( and regurgitated) as an option then I get it. If Dr. Clements (and other upper ODFW staff) included it as a professional recommendation despite the conclusions of the analysis then it just further displays the institutional bias within ODFW.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I too wonder how many of the ODFW Commissioners ACTUALLY fish and or hunt. I kind of feel that in order to serve, each one of them must be involved in the very sport they make the rules for. Would you leave your fate in the hands of a DA or Judge that doesn't practice law?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Reading their bios, it makes a lot more sense.... Here's one from the newest person that voted no...."Dr. King is a Master Hunter, Angler and Trapper but spends lots of time outdoors doing none of these things as she is also an avid hiker, mountain biker and snowboarder. She is also very passionate about diversity, equity and inclusion in the outdoors and hopes to serve as an ambassador to welcome traditionally under-represented groups afield. She currently lives in Portland with dreams of building and living in an off-the-grid treehouse."

How many red flags do you count in that paragraph?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Reading their bios, it makes a lot more sense.... Here's one from the newest person that voted no...."Dr. King is a Master Hunter, Angler and Trapper but spends lots of time outdoors doing none of these things as she is also an avid hiker, mountain biker and snowboarder. She is also very passionate about diversity, equity and inclusion in the outdoors and hopes to serve as an ambassador to welcome traditionally under-represented groups afield. She currently lives in Portland with dreams of building and living in an off-the-grid treehouse."

How many red flags do you count in that paragraph?

Might not be as many red flags as you'd think.

She's also an avid clam digger so I suppose that could be a red flag if you're a clam.

Clam

·
Registered
579 Posts
Might not be as many red flags as you'd think.

She's also an avid clam digger so I suppose that could be a red flag if you're a clam.

Clam
Patrick said. “During the meeting she spoke often of the need to reach out to those that don’t hunt/fish/trap and include them in the outdoors and, just as importantly, in the funding of ODFW; she knows very well that hunters/anglers/trappers pay the way for the department.”

That's from the article you linked. I see her vote equating to less fish to catch and less table fair to enjoy. Her actions (and the actions of others on the board) are leading to less opportunities to catch and take home a steelhead, something that will hook a newbie for life and thus get more funding. It feels like just another politician that says the right things to get in, then starts implementing their own agenda...something we've all seen too many times. For me, the red flags are still abundant, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong...time will tell.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Not impressed. Seems like someone who is working the system. How do you get to be a self proclaimed “master”?
As far as I know, Oregon still has an official “Master Hunter” certification which is pretty easy to get (hunter safety class, a few volunteer hours, and proof that you can shoot 5 consecutive shots into a 5” plate at 100 yards). I looked into it several years ago because a private property owner near my old house required it to grant hunting access, but most of the people I know who have it did it back when the state would give depredation hunt opportunities to master hunters. Anyway, she may not be self-proclaimed, but it isn’t the awe-inspiring achievement that the title implies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I too wonder how many of the ODFW Commissioners ACTUALLY fish and or hunt. I kind of feel that in order to serve, each one of them must be involved in the very sport they make the rules for. Would you leave your fate in the hands of a DA or Judge that doesn't practice law?
Its a Life Style Bubba...not just a Sport (y)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I was skeptical of Dr King on the commission at first. I listened to her speak during the game bird regs discussion. She sounded like a duck hunter to me and she knew what was going on with the snow geese populations on Sauvie Island east side. She was at least somewhat plugged in to that.

In the hatchery decision she was a big let down.

The other chick from the zoo needs to go back to the zoo. She looked like she was just ready to go home at the end of the day. This is the best we got??

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the link Pearl. This was the first Commission meeting I have ever watched. Ok, I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did watch the entire session on the Rock Creek Hatchery. A few takeaways for me:

1. Where did that motion from Commissioner Zarnowitz come from? I didn't feel those advocating for that position gave a strong enough argument to eliminate the hatchery altogether. Director Melcher and staff were clear on the consequences of that motion passing. As somebody with a background at ODFW, I would have expected her to have more confidence in ODFW's preferred alternative.

2. It was interesting to hear arguments about adaptive management and which long-term trendline to pay attention to. Signals from adaptive management adjustments are weak and take a long time to show up. You have to either have enough faith to continue forward or you scrap the whole thing. They scrapped the whole thing.

3. If you testified on the pro-hatchery panel, I don't mean any offense. You made more of an effort in that one meeting than I ever have. Having said that, I thought the pro-hatchery panel was the weakest group of presenters. Though, I don't think the anti-hatchery panel swayed any votes either. I thought ODFW and the Tribes made strong enough arguments that the Commission would have followed the recommendation.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was skeptical of Dr King on the commission at first. I listened to her speak during the game bird regs discussion. She sounded like a duck hunter to me and she knew what was going on with the snow geese populations on Sauvie Island east side. She was at least somewhat plugged in to that.

In the hatchery decision she was a big let down.

The other chick from the zoo needs to go back to the zoo. She looked like she was just ready to go home at the end of the day. This is the best we got??

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
She says in this podcast she hunts ducks on Sauvies.
This is an hour long interview with Commissioner King. It’s doesn’t cover much of her hunting and fishing but provides some insight to her past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 98 Posts