IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to work this morning, and started on the morning bookwork, when my boss walks in and says "You're off today! Go fishing or something!" I looked at the schedule, and sure enough I was off.

She had instructed me to go fishing, and being the obedient employee that I am, I complied. :smile:

So I headed up the North Santiam, and proceeded to work on that project she had assigned to me.

First cast, FISH ON! Wait a minute, this doesn't feel like a steelhead. But it was a nice 18 inch whitefish that had somehow managed to fit that big old hook in its mouth. So I bonked it. I had never caught a whitefish on anything other than a fly before, but this one took a liking to a bright orange corkie.

Second cast, FISH ON! After a few headshakes, my line is suddenly 40 feet away from where it had started out, and it seems like the fish has settled in for a deep fight. But wait a minute. The line isn't thumping anymore. It's not moving. It's just sitting there. I move upstream, no difference. I move downstream, no difference. DOH! It snagged me off on a rock! Bummer. By now, the sun is breaking though the clouds. I hook one more steelhead that shakes the hook after a few seconds. Then I watch chinook moving through the pool, cycling up and down the pool, but they are frightened of anything I throw at them now. Oh well. It was a nice morning, and I head back home and cook the whitefish for lunch.

happybrew

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not really bony. You may be confusing it with a sucker fish, which a lot of people think are whitefish. Those are bony. It tastes somewhere between trout and catfish. It's pretty good.

happybrew

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
I've definately never wondered about eating a sucker. :shocked: Maybe I'll try a whitefish though. They are prized in other parts of the world, and I've often wondered whether the mountain whitefish we have around here are similar to the ones they eat in Europe.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Did you filet it and fry, or did you cook it some other way? May have to try one for kicks. Can't think of anyone else that I have every met that tried white fish.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fillet it and fry, bake, or smoke it. It's pretty good.

happybrew

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. According to Britannica, they are members of the Salmonidae family like trout and salmon.

happybrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts