IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headin' to the North Santiam and am going to be doing a couple of drifts ending at the Fishermans Bend campground. Where to put in? 5-8 hr drifts and what to use for steelhead? Both are fly fishing, and have some gear... corkies, spinners, jig n bobbers and if need be, bait.

All input is appreciated.
KC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by KleanCut:
Headin' to the North Santiam and am going to be doing a couple of drifts ending at the Fishermans Bend campground. Where to put in? 5-8 hr drifts and what to use for steelhead? Both are fly fishing, and have some gear... corkies, spinners, jig n bobbers and if need be, bait.

All input is appreciated.
KC
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Packsaddle Park is 7 river miles upstream from Fishermen's Bend, and is the upstream point of safe navigation. There are some substantial rapids in this section, including Spencer's Hole. A very experienced pontoon operator got flipped upside down here this season, so you may want to consider portaging anything that looks too big for the pontoon. Mill City Falls is also a large drop, and picking the correct channel is critically important and will allow for continued boating. Purple Matukas, Green butted skunks, and Thors work well. Little Cleos (1/3 oz.), size 3 Metrics and Blue Foxes work. Drift gear (corkies, small egg clusters or shrimp) are ideal in some of the water. Steelhead are caught in 70 different drifts in the 7 mile section, so you will have a busy day fishing. It is 8 miles downstream to Mehama, and the whitewater is less demanding but still noteworthy. It is all fishy water, and you will enjoy the North Santiam. Goood luck.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Spencers hole is very navigable right now, but the water is low so watch the big rock to the right. if you hook it, you are in for it. I have no ideas for fly fishing, but good luck!

Don't forget eggs under a bobber. Plenty of steelies left..

[ 08-20-2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: tag-a-long ]

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
Hey Kleancut! I`ve never been through Spencers hole without taking swimming lessons, so you might want to stop and scope it out before jumping in! The same for Mill city falls, although I have made it through that upright. Good looking water all over. Good luck! Fishft.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well alrighty then!!!! Thanks a ton fellas, I'll be sure to pay more attention to Spencers and the falls in Mill City...

Again, thanks for the input, 'specially the flies Bill.

KC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts