IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone float the diversion dam.........is the water to low, ie rock banging mission...any info would be great.

·
Registered
491 Posts
wolfhunter, [QUOTEanyone float the diversion dam
i dont recomend that! :tongue: anyway,i floated that stretch last wednesday.yes i played drag boat in a few places.most notably about a mile below the dam.go way to the right almost on the right bank and you should be able to get by.i was hung up there and another boat came and passed me there.i noticed a lot of dead bright salmon in the water.what is up with them being bright and dead already?the ones i looked at were hatchery fish also. NS

·
Registered
91 Posts
i noticed a lot of dead bright salmon in the water.what is up with them being bright and dead already?the ones i looked at were hatchery fish also. NS [/QB]
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">During the first weekend in June, several anglers reported chinook carcasses above and below Stayton Island on the North Santiam (for a total of about 50 fish). A research crew floated the North Santiam the week of the 9th and observed approximately 10 carcasses. We (ODFW) are exploring ways to monitor pre-spawning mortality of Spring Chinook. We don't know why they died.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by LilSteelie:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">i noticed a lot of dead bright salmon in the water.what is up with them being bright and dead already?the ones i looked at were hatchery fish also. NS
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">During the first weekend in June, several anglers reported chinook carcasses above and below Stayton Island on the North Santiam (for a total of about 50 fish). A research crew floated the North Santiam the week of the 9th and observed approximately 10 carcasses. We (ODFW) are exploring ways to monitor pre-spawning mortality of Spring Chinook. We don't know why they died. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Fish trying to swim upstream or downstream at the diversion dams are subjected to enormous stress, and many damage themselves in the attempt. Surely ODFW has pictures of fish trying to swim up the apron of the dam and rubbing their skin off. With the protective covering worn off, they are vulnerable to disease and stress. Your research should start with this obvious problem and it should include documentation of the passage problems.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
We met ODFW person checking our catch last Saturday, new fish passage is in the works for that dam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts