IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm in the early stages of my plan to buy a 20' North River Sportster with a 200. I've been working with a sales guy @ North River Clackamas and will be takin a test drive soon. Wanted to get some input from other Sportster owners out there.

What do you like or dislike about yours?

What options do you like or wish you had?

Any problems so far?

Any other input related?

If you are NOT A SPORTSTER OWNER.... PLEASE don't waste your time or mine. Thank you.

Thanks in advance for your valued input.

You can e-mail me a response or post.

John

[ 08-27-2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: jzell ]

·
Registered
302 Posts
in the last few years i have had a few sporters fist two were 19 narrow witch they dont make any more.third was 20 w/210 opti and now a 19 wide w/175 . a few things i consider a must are I.T.S. (the fist one didnt have this and i didnt like it)the second one they didnt offer it yet so we had to come up with their current desin witch is not perfect but a good comprimise.delete sand paint stuff in bow area it comes off to easy.i had polyeurea spayed in.delete bench seats and add captains on slider boxes.this gives you great versitilty 95% of the time i leave one out and gain tons of room.yami t8 is must have.all have had alum. trailers been great.their have been many major problems w/200 210 and 240 so i opted back to the old faithful 175.also i delete cushion on doghouse and put a sliding seat to sit in.cooler mount is a good fish box. hope i helped.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clackman !!

Any other Sportster owners out there?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The best thing I did when I ordered my Sportster was to have them keep the bench seats, and put in two more swivel seats on boxes. Much more comfortable. You lose a small amount of storage, but it's much more comfortable. And it wasn't that expensive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 19' Sportster with a 175 (first sled) put air ride seats in it to make up for the 12 degree bottom. It slams you pretty good in the Columbia. I left the bench seats in so that I could swivle the front seats and make a bed to lay down while anchored up.Other then the cold starts I don't have a problem. Others claim they're to smokey, but I keep the throttle going and I can't smell nothing.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Be sure you get the wash down unit to keep the slime and blood off the gunnels/floor. Also consider an extra battery box on the other side to hold 24V if you want an electric option. Air ride seats are great if you like your discs. I also reversed one of the engine vent clamshells to improve airflow. Also might consider sound insulating the inside of the engine box, a motion marine stomp grate, and add on mufflers. It's only $$$.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I would recommend getting the full side paint and and ETS for trolling(Yamaha 8 Horse extra long shaft, electric start). My two favorite options on my SJ. I also like the trolling seat on top of the motor. If you plan on trolling at all, this will make the day a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you:

Clackman, Leroy, Daydreamer, Finclipped, and Dr. Strangelove....you guys rock!!

Thanks for the great input.

Any other Sportster owners out there?

Bring it on!!

·
Registered
19,628 Posts
Jzell,are you already locked into the salesperson? If not ask for Get Bent Scott,he is a fellow ifisher,and will treat you great.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
You can get mufflers for a Sportjet? Where, how much, and can you put them on after delivery?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
yes on the muffler; motion marine markets them. Between that and an insulated box, the 175 gets tolerable.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Remembering though, that the aftermarket mufflers "MAY" void your factory warranty, I haven't heard anything firm on this yet. My new BoiceJet will have his aftermarket wet mufflers on the 240, they work really well!

TR

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again to those who posted....

Any other Sportster owners out there who can give me any other input?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So whats a reasonable price for a new 19' sportster with a 175 sj?

[ 08-27-2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Mikeymoto ]

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
All good points above..........
Trolling seat, 8Hp electric start Yamaha high thrust w/ power tilt, scrap the bench seats for addtl. captains chairs.

+ add bow mounted anchor nest,
swim step on platform,
quick release mounted cooler on swim platform,
dual wipers,
dual fish finders (front & rear),
sink on trolling motor bracket,
wire in pigtails for downriggers,
spare tire for trailer,

Good luck on your search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts