IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to go Sturgeon fishing this morning.I had not had my boat out for awhile so I thought I would start my kicker motor before I left. Lifted the motor cover, turned the Perko switch to the #1 position hit the switch and just a little buzz. Switched to # 2 and same thing.Dead Batteries.(Both dry cells) This boat is only 1 year old with 29 hours so how can this be?I am very careful to always shut the perko switch off at the launch when I am done fishing.I have switched the batteries back and forth every time I go out. Never had a problem of any kind.My brother in law runs these Batteries in his logging Eqipment and says they will go bad sometimes. Also said that once they are drawn down that far they will not recharge or recover.What would have caused them to be drained them down like that? Nothing extra is connected. When the perko switch is off it is all off. I have checked this many times. Boat is stored inside also. Very frustrating. I am hoping that this would be covered under warranty. Anybody have any ideas,advice or thoughts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a buddy with a 1.5 yr. old NR he had one battery go bad....it wouldn't hold a charge...When I picked up my new NR from service I took in his bad battery....It was covered by warrenty. Scotty at NR gave him a new one no questions asked....I thought this was great service I didn't have any warrebty card or anything to show when it was purchased...I did get warrenty info. with my boat purchase...check your warrenty packet.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I have a Sportster, and had a battery problem for a bit. Mine was delivered with the battery not in a box, just installed under the rear step. I had a problem with the battery is going dead due to moisture accumulating on the top of the battery, and causing a slow discharge. I put just the top of a battery box over the battery, and it's been fine for two years since.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have the small little red colored dry cell batteries in my Seahawk (look like the ones that should go in a toy car or something) and two years ago I left the VHF on when I pulled the boat out of the water. The Perko was turned to 1 and I forgot to turn the batteries off when I put the boat in storage for awhile. That battery never would hold a charge after that and I took it back to NR thinking I'd have to pay for a replacement and they said there was a 5 year warranty on the battery and they handed me a brand new one. They've worked great ever since.

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
SK50,I know this is a new boat,but with both batterys dead,I'd check the charging sys. Also chech all the connecting wires on the batterys for loose wires,corrosion etc.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
SturgeonKing50,

If you don't use the boat much, they could have simply drained down. A lot of folks don't operate the boat much in a way that charges the batteries, in fact, they are steadily discharging the batteries. They have a short run from launch ramp to the fishing spot which, counting starting draw, doesn't charge the batts. Then they'll sit with VHF, Depth sounder, radio on for hours or troll at low speed.

Try giving the batteries a 24 hour trickle charge and see if that doesn't charge them up. If they don't hold a charge after that, then you might have a bad battery.

Depending on how you use the boat, you might have to give them a charge once a month.

Brion

·
Registered
26 Posts
50, Did ya think to call the dealer you got the boat from? I'm thinking that I'd ask them first for some suggestions on how to resolve the problem.
Dry cell batteries can be a bit finicky about how they are charged.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied on this battery issue.I think you all have given me some great advice. I called and talked to Joe at North River Clackamas and he said that he has seen batteries go bad. Said to bring the boat in Saturday and they would be happy to replace them. I am glad that I bought a North River as everything that they have ever done or helped me with has been first rate and totally professional. I can say in all honesty that I got, and am still getting what I paid for.I-Fish has been a source of great info and advice. Off to the salt mines I go, so again thanks everyone. Good Fishing SK50

1 - 9 of 9 Posts