IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me in the direction of the Golf Course Launch on the NF Lewis?

I've been through Woodland numerous times, but for the life of me, I can't remember a Golf Course.

How is this launch? Is it well kept? or launch at your own risk? Is it a pay to launch place?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The launch in mostly unimproved. but it's not bad. Piece of cake for a DB and most sleds. It's right next toa nd just downstream from the clubhouse. Not a very busy ramp so parking is usually not an issue either. I have launched a 20 ft sled there without issue. If sledding, check the water level unless you know the river well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Fishbait

Can you give me directions from the I-5 N exit?

We have a little 12ft aluminum with 15hp and electric troller. We've been fishin lower in the river down by the merge of the forks and up as far as the I-5 bridge.....but haven't been doing good the last couple outings, so we wanted to try upriver more.

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Exit I-5,turn right. Drive a few miles, you will see a campground with a store on the right side of the road, take the next right to the golf coarse. Take the first right, then take the first right again, and you're there. The launch is in good shape, I just used it on monday.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this a free launch?

RGB
Did you have any luck out there monday?
Any pointers? :smile:

[ 11-05-2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Moley Molson ]

·
Registered
869 Posts
Moley~

Stay away from my river!! You've already caught your fair share.....

Just kidding. I fished that stretch the other day and didn't see any fish caught. That was last weekend....and one of my buddies fished it too...no luck for him either. The steelies should be showing up anytime....leme know how you do. I won't be fishing this weekend... :depressed: Got honey doo's to get handled. I'm hoping it will heat up soon, the river, not the weather. There's nothing like plucking the ice from the eyes on your rod every few casts!!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
If you have a prop I would would stay further down stream. You can make it with a prop up river a little ways but you better have some sort of trim system so you can read the river and move the motor @ the same time.

Be carefull coming out of the golf course. There is a gravel bar right out from the launch and you have one about a 6' margin of error. You have to go down stream to get around the bar.

You can fish that portion of the river, there in front of the golf course launch, but it justs limits you to a small portion of the river.

Your best bet is to take the dike road and use the improved launch down by the mouth of the E.F.

Did I mention needing a 4X4 to launch and to pull out? Yes you do. The rocks are large and can/will give you a hard time. It is an unimproved ramp and it is grated once a year. You are suppose to have a parking permit, which you got w/your WA. license, but it seems nobody ever checks, but there is always that ONE time.

Good luck. and great fishing. Let us know how you did.

[ 11-05-2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: fishchaser ]

·
Registered
363 Posts
Moley, go explore now while there is no one out there. Good water below the hatchery, lots of fish rolling, but I heard the hatchery ramp was closed. We only caught a jack, and a squaw fish, both on bait divers.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Hatchery ramp is open but you need 4x4 to launch in the large river cobblestones. head to southside launch below ceder creek on the other side if you want to fish that area from a boat. :wink:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great info on the launches guys....it is much appreciated.

I love IFISH for this reason.....the knowledge is so vast, and everyone is willing to share some insight.

That's good to know about the gravel bar by the Golf Course.....I could just see myself becoming stuck out there.

Does anyone know if there are Nav charts for the lewis indicating these kinds of things? If so where could a guy pick one up?

I've got a 4X4, just a little chicken to try new places when it's crowded. I've seen guys launch/load on the north side of the hatchery hole, and it looks to be a little hairy at times.....I'll stick to the south side, I want to try just below the ramp there.

Again....THANK YOU for all the great info!

[ 11-05-2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Moley Molson ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Moley --- People are making this too complicated. Put in at the golf course. Wear your waders. The "gravel bar" is 20 feet out from the launch. Worst case, just walk it out. There is almost no current there. Once you are in the river you have 1/4 mile upstream to the first riffle and at least that far downstream, all with good depth. Fishing is kinda slow right now but you will see a bunch of stale steelhead and a few silvers. It's a good time to learn the river.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Moley-I would do what Thumper says. But what "I" would do is take my boat up to that first riffle, get out and walk my boat up and around and fish that pool right up there. :grin:
Then if you are a young buck like myself, I would take my little boat and end up walking it all the way up around big bend and fish the boils way up around a few bends :cool:

If for some reason you want to put in up around the hatchery area at the cedar creek hole and fish the meat hole and the Johnson Creek flats. I'm not to sure if a boat with a 15hp motor can make it up that tailout there at the meat hole with the flows. We made it up no problem back when the flows where at 1500cfs but now there 3500cfs and thats a little more water your working into.

Just stay at the gold coures area. If theres a pod of bright fish holding in there, you can count on some good action with as many boats that are out there right now.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
The thing to remember Moley is that the NFL is a gentle river. You could put in at the hatchery and putt all the way down to the golf course with your prop. Just wear your boots and a good PFD and enjoy!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
It is free, but you will want to have a 4X4 rig. It's not bad, but full of roundish rocks and a 4X4 helps. Once you are away from the bank you have about a half mile of good water for a prop boat.

Just don't use the launch from May to August. There be dragons there at that time. :tongue: One of them, a guy named Tilla, drives an aircraft carrier and is always in a foul mood. He also catches most of the dinky little fish that live there in the summer.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Thumper....thanks for more info.

When you say only 1/2mile of good water for a prop boat, I'm assuming cause it's to shallow?

Is it worth my time to explore in my little boat? Or should I stay down by the forks? Last weekend I noticed that not many people went up past the I-5 bridge.....they would go just above it and then drift back, but never further than 200 yds above the bridge.......I went up further than that and noticed that it got REAL SHALLOW real quick...is it like that for a ways, or just small sections?

I don't know much about the river above the bridge, and I'm anxious to learn.....I'd like to try the hatchery hole launch, but don't want to deal with that madhouse until I learn the river a little better.....maybe I'll try it during a time when not many people are fishing there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No one has mentioned so far that the water gets pretty shallow on Thursdays for the body counts.
The launch can be a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I took a drive on Wednesday just to take a look at the NFL. I stopped at the new Fisherman's Depot and looked at the river height which said 2350 cfs or so. However, when I drove to the Golf Course put in, there is no way the River is that high. It looked more like 1100 or less!

In addition, there was no hydrograph report available on Wednesday from Internet sources, so I really don't know what the actual level was, or is. Also, as far as fishing reports, there was not one trailer at the ramp at 9:15 AM! What does that say?

If anyone has updated info on the river height, let me know.

Rusty

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Rusty,

If you were there yesterday the flows were at about 3500 cfs. You should go there right now to see what it's like at 1400. I imagine it'll be back up to 3500 by tomorrow morning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts