IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is coming out to visit from Minneapolis and would like to go salmon fishing when he is here. He came out last September 22nd and I took him out with a guide on Tillamook Bay and we were skunked. We also hit the Deschutes and did not touch a fish. He is thinking about coming out the weekend of October 10th or October 17th. Which would be a better weekend if we planned on fishing the Trask, Wilson, and Kilchis? Maybe even the Sandy for silvers. Thanks for your help.

[ 09-11-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Dakotan ]

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The Trask and Wilson are water dependant. So...when it rains enough, but not too much, it will be good. tidewater on both rivers should be in full swing if there is not enough rain. A boat there helps a lot.

A guided trip to bonnie for some lateish URBs and hogs mught be interesting. Walleyes on the Columbia should be going great guns then too( and anyone from Minni would appreciate a fishery where you get 5 pounders every day and the chance at a 10 is very real).

Have fun with the family.

Mark and the dog.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
The Cowlitz will be in full swing then with its late strain coho run. Lot less crowded than some of the combat fisheries to the south and will start out with 3 fish a day limits this year.

Be pretty hard pressed to get skunked there.

Dan

PS> Came back in and added this. I realize the Cowlitz is not a NC stream but neither is the Sandy. Might not be any further to travel than the coast but does require the inexpensive 2 day or annual non resident tag. By far better coho fishing than in NW Oregon and they (late strain) will just be coming in as cromers with sea lice included at no extra charge and are very aggressive biters. Good luck whatever you decide.

[ 09-10-2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When is the usual peak on the Trask for chinook? how about silvers?

·
Registered
17,014 Posts
For planning a trip - I would avoid Oct 10, the exact date of the full moon.

Surprised you got skunked on Sept. 22. The days around Sept. 25, on the lower bay, have always been very good to us - I'm taking that week off this year again.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Dan, how would a newbie to the sw washington rivers get some good info on where to go, what to use? I usually fish the clack and eagle creek

·
Registered
25 Posts
Two years ago I hit the coast {Nestucca} for some Springer and summer steelies and due to low water it was real slow {one fish in three days}. A friend of mine mentions the Cowlitz was pumping out summer run, so the next afternoon we left the coast and after a 3+ hour drive and another hour of river exploring we were knee deep in summer runs. It saved our trip. The upper part of the Cowlitz is easily accessible in many parts.
I would take the coast myself over the Cowlitz most any day, but my point is are you dieing to fish the coast or do you want to get your brother into some fish. It’s a nice drive to the coast, but if it does not rain between now and then a nice ride to the coast is about all you may get.
Good luck!

[ 09-11-2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: steelie_on ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for info DepoeDan but I don't know any of the Washington rivers very well. I do however have a pretty good idea on the Trask, Wilson, and Kilchis. We don't have a boat so all of my fishing is from the bank and those rivers are small and easily accessible (only an hours drive from my house).

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I wouldn't count on the rivers producing at that time unless we get a lot of rain. For the last several years the peak for those rivers have been in November.

Full moon has little berring on the salmon bite, in fact during the full moon is when we have the largest tides, this usually brings in the most salmon. If I was going after Marlin I would be concerned about the moon phase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts