IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I surfed all over the ODFW website, but cannot find where they tally up the non-selective coho quota. Have the numbers just not yet been compiled?

Just trying to do some planning. One of the fish checkers said that they thought there would be enough quota for all three weekends! :love:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I wouldn’t trust much of what the fish checkers have to say... one of the checkers in Newport told me you could keep wild coho on the Yaquina this afternoon and I’m 100% certain you cannot.

·
Premium Member
9,067 Posts
The catch was either tabulated today or is being done now (Monday evening). Their call is tomorrow and I think we'll get an announcement within a couple of days, maybe tomorrow late afternoon, but I think probably by Wednesday at 5, but maybe not till Thursday.

·
Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Oh and to find it when it's been posted, go to the MRP page, click on salmon and scroll down, the link is on that page.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ocean will not be fishable this Friday-Sunday. So it will go at least three weekends probably more with expected roll over.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
SOF caught 44.6% of the 14K allocation over the first weekend. I saw some chatter about a rollover from the marked select season, but have not seen any numbers added to the original allocation yet. And as Josh said above, it may not be fishable other than Friday of the upcoming opener.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ocean will not be fishable this Friday-Sunday. So it will go at least three weekends probably more with expected roll over.
The fish become less and less, harder and harder to find as the season goes on. With the rain coming, I expect those fish to be hot on their river returns. Personally, I think the ocean coho fat lady has sung.

·
Registered
Stabicraft 2250 UCC OS "Gypsy Davie"
144 Posts
Major rain coming but most of these fish probably aren't headed up our rivers anyway, I heard somewhere lots of the coho we get off our coast are from Washington, Canada, Alaska, and California. If true, there should continue to be plenty moving up and down our coast. Keep the faith brothers, more coho will die from Oregon ports

·
Registered
265 Posts
Because it's been such a strong season with excellent numbers, I agree that they'll still be around for a few more weeks...search & destroy! This weekend does look crappy.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Because it's been such a strong season with excellent numbers, I agree that they'll still be around for a few more weeks...search & destroy! This weekend does look crappy.
Quota is now 20,230 fish and the season is open 7 days a week until the end of September or the quota is taken SOF.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
"This season was first open on Friday, Sept. 10; Saturday, Sept. 11; and Sunday, Sept. 12. Total estimated fishing effort for the three-day opening was 6,392 angler-trips with a retained catch of 6,246 coho out of the now adjusted quota of 20,230 coho. This leaves a remainder of 13,984 coho (69%) on the quota. After review of the harvest estimates from the first three-day opening, it was determined that adding the 8 additional weekdays to the open fishing period would be unlikely to result in early attainment of the quota. The added days will provide more fishing opportunity for coho in the highly popular non-mark selective coho season."

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
This is taken from your link:

"Non-selective Coho Season: Open Sept. 10-12, and Sept. 17 through the earlier of Sept. 30 or the quota of 20,230 coho. Bag Limit: Two salmon per day. Minimum lengths: Coho - 16"; Chinook - 24"; steelhead - 20"; and no min. length for pink, sockeye, or chum salmon in ocean fishery. Open dates may be modified in-season."

I think it is pretty funny how ODFW keeps throwing these mind numbing regulation changes at the fishers. I am not complaining, it is just that it takes some deciphering to interpret them. In simple English, here is what I get from the latest, but feel free to correct any errors I make since I will rely on this interpretation in conducting my fishing and do not want to be wrong about it.

1. They got some trade off from the 50,000 hatchery coho not caught in terms of extra wild coho to be caught, which after the adjustment for this and last weekend's take, has left 20,230 non-selective coho to be taken.

2. The Non-selective coho season is no longer just limited to fishing on Fri/Sat/Sun like last weekend.

3. The new Non-selective coho season runs every day from 9/17 through 9/30, or when quota of 20,230 non-selective coho is taken, whichever comes first.

4. So, if 20,230 non-selective coho are not taken by 9/30, it closes anyway after 9/30. If 20,230 coho are taken before or calculated to be taken before 9/30, ODFW will supposedly send another notice closing the season before 9/30.

5. I assume one can still take marked coho which don't count against the non-selective quota so that more than 20,230 coho can theoretically be taken if you combine both wild and hatchery coho taken. I also assume that if the 20,230 non-selective coho are taken before 9/30, it will close to the taking of marked coho also.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is taken from your link:

"Non-selective Coho Season: Open Sept. 10-12, and Sept. 17 through the earlier of Sept. 30 or the quota of 20,230 coho. Bag Limit: Two salmon per day. Minimum lengths: Coho - 16"; Chinook - 24"; steelhead - 20"; and no min. length for pink, sockeye, or chum salmon in ocean fishery. Open dates may be modified in-season."

I think it is pretty funny how ODFW keeps throwing these mind numbing regulation changes at the fishers. I am not complaining, it is just that it takes some deciphering to interpret them. In simple English, here is what I get from the latest, but feel free to correct any errors I make since I will rely on this interpretation in conducting my fishing and do not want to be wrong about it.

1. They got some trade off from the 50,000 hatchery coho not caught in terms of extra wild coho to be caught, which after the adjustment for this and last weekend's take, has left 20,230 non-selective coho to be taken.

2. The Non-selective coho season is no longer just limited to fishing on Fri/Sat/Sun like last weekend.

3. The new Non-selective coho season runs every day from 9/17 through 9/30, or when quota of 20,230 non-selective coho is taken, whichever comes first.

4. So, if 20,230 non-selective coho are not taken by 9/30, it closes anyway after 9/30. If 20,230 coho are taken before or calculated to be taken before 9/30, ODFW will supposedly send another notice closing the season before 9/30.

5. I assume one can still take marked coho which don't count against the non-selective quota so that more than 20,230 coho can theoretically be taken if you combine both wild and hatchery coho taken. I also assume that if the 20,230 non-selective coho are taken before 9/30, it will close to the taking of marked coho also.
Jack,

Mostly correct, but all coho landed will count against the quota. The modeled impacts and the quota include both marked and unmarked coho. The major differences when compared to the summer mark selective season are that a higher proportion of the intercepted coho are unmarked, and that essentially all of the unmarked fish in September are now being harvested as opposed to during the mark selective season when unmarked fish were released.

Eric

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SWEET! I'll be on them for a few more weeks.............:devilish:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Jack,

Mostly correct, but all coho landed will count against the quota. The modeled impacts and the quota include both marked and unmarked coho. The major differences when compared to the summer mark selective season are that a higher proportion of the intercepted coho are unmarked, and that essentially all of the unmarked fish in September are now being harvested as opposed to during the mark selective season when unmarked fish were released.

Eric
Yes, you are correct about what you wrote in your first sentence.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I think the 20,000 is the total fish and you subtract last weekends take to calculate what’s left.
I don't think that is true. I think the 20,230 quota was set after taking into account what non select coho were harvested during the 9/10 to 9/12 period. It is a new quota. But, hey, I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts