IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a letter I sent to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Mr. Lindsay Ball
Director
2501 SW First Ave.
P.O. Box 59, 97207

7/18/03

Mr. Ball

My name is Andy Miller and I recently applied for a commercial salmon troll permit. As you know the lottery is based on a set number of permits. If I am not mistaken the number is 1200. The lottery is only held in years that the number of renewals falls below this number.

This year 256 people applied for 25 permits.

I was in attendance and a witness to the drawing. I am disappointed that a large portion of the permits were awarded to non-residence. I believe Oregonians should have preference to these permits. The majority of the non-residence resides in Washington and California. How many of the 1200 permits have been issued to non-residence?

I know in the short term this system benefits the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. For every non-resident permit issued the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is able to increase the license fee by 200 dollars. This is counter productive to an commercial fishing industry and economy that is almost poverty-stricken. A California resident will catch Oregon fish and spend the profit in California, NOT OREGON. Why was a resident of Salinas, California issued a permit and not a Oregonian? Will there be a time when more non-residents are fishing in Oregon waters than Oregonians? I will continue to ask these questions until The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife changes their policies.

Thank you,

Andrew L. Miller
[email protected]

cc:

Governor Kulongoski
160 State Capitol
900 Court Street
Salem, Oregon 97301-4047

Senator Ron Wyden
516 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510

Senator Gordon Smith
404 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510

Len Reed
Team Leader
The Oregonian
Fax: (503) 294-5159

Editor
The Daily Astorian
P.O. Box 210
Astoria, Or

Amy Roe
Staff Writer
Willamette Week
822 SW 10th Ave.
Portland, OR 97205

Editor
The Guide's Forecast, LLP
PO Box 1196
Tillamook, OR. 97141

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
No it does require a story to get a reply. :wink:

I think you bring up some good points. Keep us posted as to your responses, I'd like to know what the powers to be have to say. :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts