IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thought. (Write that down, it doesn't happen often!)

There are SO many people out there that don't have computers, that could contribute so much knowledge to the ifish boards.

How many elderly people do you know that would benefit from the ifish community? For a while, the retired age people made up a huge percentage of online users. I don't know where it stands now.

Anyway, I was thinking, wouldn't it be neat to start an "Adopt a fisher" program, and teach anglers, regardless of age, how to use ifish? Perhaps even start a collection of used computers so that we each could adopt someone, get them online, and teach them the ropes?

The internet can open up a whole new world for people. I know that some people resist the internet and technology, but some people just don't know how!

Can anyone think of someone that we can help with this? It would be neat to follow their footsteps towards learning the internet.

I just think that there is a wealth of information out there, waiting to be tapped!

Oh greedy fish knowledge seeker that I am! :smile:

Jen

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I tried to introduce 3 agely adults to using email, and surfing the net. But found myself overwhelmed with performing the same tasks over and over to keep them online and reloading deleted material :shrug: . Dan can you come over? or the phone rings and you try to talk out the instructions on the phone...uhhh, I'll be right over

It sounds like a great idea Jenny and i will continue efforts to help these net challenged. One is an avid fisherman and I'm sure he has plenty to add when he finally gets the hang of that "Damn computer thingy" :wink:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Good idea. Actually, for those older folks that are computer novices, it could be a much more life enhancing experience than just introducing them to ifish. The internet has really opened the doors for some of my grandparents in regards to finding old war buddies or doing geneology research.

The question is, how do we get connected with someone?

(You know, this could go a little further too. There are some of the new people to fishing, or those that are new to the region that could probably save years of learning on their own by hooking up with some of the veterans around here.)

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
What a great idea! I've got an old computer that would be a good "portal" machine.

Seems like there are a couple ways this could work. Maybe a one-time lesson isn't the best for some folks. It might be a half hour visit a couple times a week where you sit down and read some posts and help post some info. I've gotten my mom (77 years old) on line with AOL and she can read e-mail and retreive pictures of her grand daughter. What always seems to be the best learning tool is to identify a function and master it ... we can't all end up being relational database experts or Power Point users, but maybe just being able to read Ifish or correspond with e-mail wouldn't be too hard. This seems like a win-win proposition. I'm in!

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd give an hour a week or so, to anyone in the Tillamook Area that needs help.
If anyone knows someone that would like to be a test person for this program, I'm like to know who that would be!

I could even help look for an inexpensive used computer. You don't need much to get connected.

Suggestions? I think this is great fun!

Jen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts