IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it weren't for bad luck....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ouch that looks bad Randy! You got 6 months to button that back up lol.

You putting new motors on the grady?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No new motors.

The folks at Schooner Creek are fixing an issue that many Grady White owners face. The aluminum bang cap tends to let water in after a bit of age, and the open nature of the build let's water down into the treated wood. Subsequent swelling causes more water to be held. Salt water combined with aluminum and the chemicals in the Greenwood ply create a clear gooey substance that swells.

I'm not the first and will not be the last to suffer this loss. I started looking at my transom when I read about the issue on Great Grady. I found cracks in my gel coat across the well, and from inside across the transom.

The boat will be better than new with Coosa and lots of glass to fill any voids. The well drains will be fiberglass tubes that are glassed in. The top of the transom will be entirely glassed. The large aluminum piece will be left intact. It is attached to stringers on each side, then across the transom. I'll attach a couple photos to show how the boat was made.

Grady White now uses a full plastic bang cap that is glued in place.

More examples and information are available on Great Grady, an owners web site.

If anyone needs more info you can PM me.

This explains why there are no trip reports from me.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Wow thats no good. You have a great group of guys working on it over there. Sounds like you got it covered and will be ready for next season.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Schooner Creek got the work in no small part due to their sponsorship of the Oregon Tuna Classic.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sorry to see that Randy. Hope you get back together in new and improved fashion soon!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The boat is starting to look much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts