IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Razor clams were few and on the small side on Long Beach last night. Anyone dig farther north,Ocean Shores,Copalis or Moclips?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My brother dug at Ocean Park and had to work for just six. :shrug: He said they didnt show untill real late.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
What's up with that? I thought it would be killer clamming this weekend.

How far North did you go?

[ 09-27-2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: WheresMyBobber ]

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started at Ocean Park and ended up 2 miles North of the Oysterville approch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
same at Grayland...late showing, got 13 on the small side and one nice hog...raw and sore from pounding sand for 3+ hours.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Real slow fri. nite 3 miles noth or cranberry not worth the time.But tonight south of seaview did pretty good limited the party out,8 diggers a diggin,may be better sunday night being a lower tide,-1.1,but still alot of work.Still managed some nice sized but plenty of small clams,just have to choose your holes carefully.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I dug this evening. Got two.... :depressed: We started the day at Bonneville, and after releasing two oversized and keeping a keeper sturgeon we then went to the sandy r were we got 3 coho then left for Long Beach and got there at 8:30 One guy had his limit because he was in the surf. And at 1:30am I just got home. WHAT FUN IT WAS TODAY!!!!!!!! :dance:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
It was tough clamming. Fished North of Ocean Park without much success. Then I decided to go further North as there were miles of headlights returning and it was still early.
Well I can say with some first hand knowledge that THERE WERE NO RAZOR CLAMS UNDER MY MOTORHOME! :rolleyes:

Worst clamming I have ever seen.

The digging was good adn I got a lot of that in... :hoboy:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Hey Ray, you're not suppose to be driving on them clam beds anyway! :grin:

Sorry to hear your clam outing wasn't productive. I was really surprised to read the reports. Most of us expected it to be phenominal again based on last years clamming and the fact it has been closed for so long.

Dan

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Went out Friday afternoon and got 25 for 2 people, mostly 3 1/2"er's one 5" and about 3 smalls. :grin:
Returned for Saturdays tide and did better.
2 limits for 2 people. Nice large clams. 4"er's were the norm with a couple smalls near dark.

Make sure you take your time and watch for the size of the dimple or squirt.
Returning this eve!!! :grin:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
we got skunked on fri night .. last night we got about 20 small to med ones, we were almost to the legal digging end of the beach. small holes and not showing much. i think we will wait for the opener in oregon, that digging in the dark with the pounding surf behind you is kinda spooky.. i used a clam gun for the first time , beats the shovel hands down.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dug at Ocean Shores Saturday night. Got my limit and dug limits for my mom and dad, (they both have handicap permits). Most were good sized also. Only took a couple hours, but sure was tired after words.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We did OK, but it took much longer than normal. I grew up on the SW Washington coast, and thought I was a pro clammer, but jeez I sure had to work for them this weekend. We limited Friday - I got 14 nice ones and one little one, but I quit after 10 mixed little to large ones on Saturday after a solid two hours of hunting for them. I'd buy the die-off theory from Olympia's "keep us on the payroll so we can save you from the big bad domoic acid" biologists/politicians, but if that's true, where are the shells? We've seen die-offs before, but they were always accompanied by tons of slightly off-color shells on the beach. Only saw a few shells on the beach this weekend. Awesome weather Friday and early Saturday, but it got real cold Saturday evening!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Just got in from a great eve and 2 limits of large clams :dance: , stopped for dinner and a nice drive home. :grin:
They were showing great and not crowded either..must of been because of bad reports or just sunday.
We started at 5:15 in longbeach and had our 2 limits by 6:30. :dance:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Friday night was a pain,,,worked hard for 10 clams, just to the south of Cranberry road. I usually dig by the wreckage of the Valhalla. Saturday night took 8 of us clear up past the Oysterville approach 5 1/2 miles. 4 of us limited with the rest getting anywhere from 2 to 13 per person. Tough digging. Last night, left the house at 9:15, drove to Cranberry, south to the Valhalla, lit lanterns, put on waders,etc. back at the truck with a limit before 10:00. Almost no wind, very small surf, and really got overheated as we overdressed, because we like to froze Saturday night. These clams were for the most part, a lot larger than the ones we got up north, but still weren't like the ones we were pulling back in 2001.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We didn't do very well Friday night at Ocean Park. Got in a little late and didn't see many showing. Saturday night was better just north of Long Beach and we found some big ones. Had to work real hard and pound the sand bar to get them to show. Somebody said the surf was too rough. We left before the dig Sunday night. Mom and Dad stayed and got their limit in half an hour. The clams were showing everwhere they said. We should of stayed a little longer.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a call from friends at Ocean Park,said digging was good Sun. night.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Saturday, got 13. TOUGH clamming. Took four hours to get'm. Quit at 10pm or so then drove back to beaverton. We were about 15 miles north of Long Beach.

Clam chowder cookin right now though. :cool:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
We went Saturday. We got there around 6pm. It was the hardest clamming that I have seen up there. Holes were hard to spot.

We had four in our group and ended up with 52 total. They were mostly small and not one large one. Most people that we talked to were having a tough time finding them.

On Sunday PM we fried up the clams in olive oil and Italian style bread crumbs. Wow!!!! They may have been small but they tasted great!

I'm wondering how the Clatsop Beaches will be?
Season opens Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
To all,

I usually try to attend the WDFW meetings they have about Razor clam seasons prior to them setting the seasons. The WDFW biologist tell you where they saw the highest numbers of clams from their population tests.

From the meeting I went to in September, north was not the spot to be on the Longbeach beaches. South was MUCH better. Limited Sat. in short order south of Seaview.

Clatsop beaches will be good, but don't expect it to be red hot like 2002. There are still some clams high on the beach but those took a pounding the last time it was open.

Clam

1 - 20 of 27 Posts