IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be looking for a new little pick up soon and was just wondering what your opinions are. The vehicles I'm looking at are the Nissan Frontier v-6 Nismo 4x4 or the Toyota Tacoma V-6 4x4. Looks like the Nissan has more power and is cheaper, any thoughts? The only thing I would be towing is my new matching Clackacraft :grin:

Thanks
CM

· Registered
476 Posts
I have always been a Toyota fan. You won't find a more reliable truck. People have always complained about the seats in Toyota pickups but it never bothered me until I hurt my back. I can't stand driving mine any more and am shopping for a full size. If they weren't so spendy I'd get a Tundra. Tacomas aren't made for people over 6' tall. I guess to be fair I should say I haven't tried sitting in a new one.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm a hard-core Toyota fan, so I'm pretty bias to ask about. Tacoma's better looking? :shrug: :grin: :smash: But, if you have lots of computer time, I'm sure you're own perspective of things should be your lead reason not some stranger on the internet. So, if time is not such a big deal I'd recommend looking at the forums, checking out the pros the people in the forum express and the cons they express - usually the problems they ask about their truck.

Toyota Tacoma Forum

Nissan Frontier Forum

Check them out. Although the Frontier's commercials are cool looking, I ultimately love the Tacoma one where it shows the home video with the meter coming in and blowing back the camera and the Tacoma popping out over, hey there's a guy in the beginning of the commercial scatting, check THAT out! Shi-shi-shi-shi-shik :rolleyes: :applause:

Good Luck, David

· Registered
17,245 Posts
Haven't owned a Nissan. I couldn't be happier with my Toyota. I haven't had to do anything extra other than regular maintenance, nothing! 2000 tocoma, just about 100,000 miles. :cheers:

· Registered
5,354 Posts
I had a Nissan Xterra before I bought my Titan. It was awsome and held up to my abuse very well. They are on the same fully boxed, fully welded ladder frame. I towed my 22' boat with the Xterra and pushed the 5000# tow rating, it handled it well. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another at all, in fact I recommend them. Check out the supercharged version. Drive them both, I think you will make the right decision. I know when it came to me buying the full size nothing was even close to the Titan and that included the highly touted Toyota. A test drive will tell you most of what you need to know, the sticker will say the rest.

· Registered
3,610 Posts
Nissan!!! I have almost 300,000 on mine and the only thing to break is the head gasket at 235,000. Still running the stock starter, alternator,---well heck everything is still stock. Believe me none of these miles were done by my grandma either. :jester: 20 years old and still going strong. Been offered 2-3 times what is worth. Wouldn't sell is for less than $5K because I simply couldn't trust anything else I could buy for $5k to replace it.

· Registered
1,413 Posts
My last 4 rigs have been Toyota's, and I DROOL whenever I see a brand new Tacoma. Especially with the hood scoop :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Buuuuuuttttt...can't deny the sticker price. Any 4 wheel drive Tacoma will be over $30,000 whereas the Nissan will run substantially cheaper. If money wasn't a factor I'd be all over the Toyota, but I know plenty of people that are very happy with there Nissans and you practically save enough money to buy a new clackacraft by going with Nissan. :grin: :grin:

· Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a 93 nissan pathfinder, that I have had zero problems with other than regulare oil changes and maintenance. The only thing not routine I have had to replace was a $13 relay switch. Not bad for 130,000 miles. You really can't go wrong with either one, both made to last.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
You can't argue that Toyotas aren't awesome trucks. However, being a three time Nissan truck owner, I would argue that Nissan is 5% less reliable, 20% less cost.

I havn't looked at the stats on the motors in the new trucks. Nissan used to have quite a bit more torque which was really nice if you planned to haul or tow will your little truck. I've moved on to the larger, MUCH less reliable domestic brands.

The one area I think that Toyota kicks Nissan tail is in resale. If you plan to keep the truck a long time, buy Nissan.

· Registered
3,197 Posts
NISSAN, it's EVERY BIT as bulletproof as the overpriced Toyota. You won't be changing the timing belt every 60K miles either, it uses a chain. Rated in one of the auto rags as one of the top 10 engines made.
I just bought the Xterra a couple months ago. I was considering the Frontier to replace my worn out Ranger. I went with the Xterra as it made more sense for me than the truck. It's rated to get 21MPG highway, but I've already gotten 23MPG with it. Pulls my heavy alumaweld drifter like it's not even back there.

It's the third Nissan vehicle I've owned and I had great luck with the others.

· Registered
463 Posts
NISSAN, it's EVERY BIT as bulletproof as the overpriced Toyota. You won't be changing the timing belt every 60K miles either, it uses a chain. Rated in one of the auto rags as one of the top 10 engines made.
I just bought the Xterra a couple months ago. I was considering the Frontier to replace my worn out Ranger. I went with the Xterra as it made more sense for me than the truck. It's rated to get 21MPG highway, but I've already gotten 23MPG with it. Pulls my heavy alumaweld drifter like it's not even back there.

It's the third Nissan vehicle I've owned and I had great luck with the others.
Consuner reports did a recent survey on NIssan Titan owners and found that the NIssan was the worst in reliability. I personally know two people that bought the lifted up Titans and have had nothing but problems. Also My brother in law has a non super charged x-terra and even though it is a V-6 he still complains how gutless it is. I couldnt be happier with my 05 F-150. Zero problems, handles like a car, and rides way better then the nissan. Power is awesome, I think you could power brake it for blocks :jester: I alos off road mine alot in the sand dunes and it works great.

· Registered
3,197 Posts
Well, I've read too of some issues with some of the Titan's. Mostly front brake related. But, the Titan wasn't the topic here. And too, the older Xterras were known to be somewhat lacking in power. But, in 05 they bumped it to 265HP, and trust me, it's NOT lacking in power. I hope your 05 F150 isn't an auto trans...if so, good luck with that. BTW, the Xterra was just named SUV of the year. :smile:

· Registered
463 Posts
Well, I've read too of some issues with some of the Titan's. Mostly front brake related. But, the Titan wasn't the topic here. And too, the older Xterras were known to be somewhat lacking in power. But, in 05 they bumped it to 265HP, and trust me, it's NOT lacking in power. I hope your 05 F150 isn't an auto trans...if so, good luck with that. BTW, the Xterra was just named SUV of the year. :smile:
I wouldn't call it an older xterra considering it is an 05...

· Registered
12,221 Posts
The name of the game for me is reliability.

I have operated a fleet of Nissans and Subarus, and I currently design courier fleets for clients. Out of 72 Nissans (mostly back in the 80s and 90s) and more than a dozen Subarus, the Nissans had the best overall reliability record.

We never replaced a Nissan in the fleet before 250,000 miles, and never lost a motor. Our family has also owned three Nissan pickups (93, 95, 97), and all are still going strong (265,000, 156,000 and 140,000). Try that with your domestic brands.

My Sooz currently drives a 2002 Pathfinder and loves it.

Anecdotal and dated info, to be sure. But I think that says something about Nissan's dedication to quality. :clap: Another tremendous advantage of driving a Nissan is that there is a local Vancouver outfit that provides superb Nissan service at a fraction of the dealer costs for service. PM me if you want contact info.

· Registered
1,369 Posts
I used to be a huge Toyota fan but now my wife drives a Nissan.

They only toy I have now is an 87 tercel beater for commuting. I think they developed an awesome reputation in the 80's but the quality has slipped since then.

They're still better than average but I like Nissan's quality and price over Toyotas name.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.