IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
438 Posts
3 trips, first night wife missed one & redeemed herself with a 30# chinook, I got skunked, second night I got 10# steel, wife had nice silver next to boat, came unpinned, I missed another, once again my wife redeemed herself with an 8# steel, third night a buddy netted an 8# and 12# steel for me, he got skunked. Red wazzat's on all.

· Registered
2,737 Posts
3 trips, first night wife missed one & redeemed herself with a 30# chinook, I got skunked, second night I got 10# steel, wife had nice silver next to boat, came unpinned, I missed another, once again my wife redeemed herself with an 8# steel, third night a buddy netted an 8# and 12# steel for me, he got skunked. Red wazzat's on all.

whats a WAZZAT ??????

· Registered
693 Posts
What's your favorite set up for night fishing on the Lower Columbia for steelhead. Lure or Sandshrimp? Going to give it a try next week.

Other than tecnically inland waters like Drano lake, I pretty sure the Columbia is closed at night for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. (I may be wrong)

If it was open to Washington license holders only, Oregonians would simply buy a WA license.

Besides, doesnt Anchor fishing the Big C in total darkness sound a little.....risky?

· Registered
8,355 Posts
Anybody willing to share some info on when good times are to nightfish.I assume just pick a good tide like you would for daylight fishing and hit it.

Do the fish run closer to shore at night though?

Heck,any pointers would be appreciated.

A me and a buddy are thinking about trying this.I have about 20 or 30 of these lures in a box collecting dust.

HntnFsh

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Other than tecnically inland waters like Drano lake, I pretty sure the Columbia is closed at night for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. (I may be wrong)

If it was open to Washington license holders only, Oregonians would simply buy a WA license.

Besides, doesnt Anchor fishing the Big C in total darkness sound a little.....risky?
I guess you should get a wa license

· Registered
1,185 Posts
I hope someone who has a clear understanding of the rules will chime in here. From what I understand, to night fish on the Big C Oregonians would not only need a WA license, but would also need to launch from the WA side... of course, you could wait until daylight and then land back on the OR side, but that would be technically against the rules...I think...I usually have to run the regs past my legal counsel to have a solid understanding of all this...:hoboy:

When I lived in Idaho, glo-lures were the name of the game, and night fishing was the way it was done by many...a lot of boats are out there at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater at midnight. From what I hear, lighted kwiks are the lure of choice for BRun steel that far up river.

· Registered
4,290 Posts
With a license issued by the state of Washington, you may fish at night on the washington side of the Columbia River.

Yes there is a boundary line but if you don't have specific coordinates and gps and such items it is difficult to determine. Just go with the middle of the shipping chanel as a general rule.

You can launch from oregon but I would suggest launching from Washington when fishing at night. There is/has been some issues surrounding port of entry and regulations applying to each state. Better safe than sorry.

This very question comes up numerous times each year. Learning how to use the search tool will bring up lots of info on many subjects.

Tight lines everyone.

· Registered
6,545 Posts
Ok, enough on the legalities of night fishing. Back to the topic in the original post:cheers:
You fail to see the relevance? Not being legal can bring far worse consequences than using the wrong spin-n-glo.

Here's some technical advice that may satisfy you. I don't recommend the green Wazzats, they block out most of the light from the LED. The reds are the only ones I would ever buy or use.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
You fail to see the relevance? Not being legal can bring far worse consequences than using the wrong spin-n-glo.

Here's some technical advice that may satisfy you. I don't recommend the green Wazzats, they block out most of the light from the LED. The reds are the only ones I would ever buy or use.
The legality issue has been beat to death previously and searches come up with the answers
"A while back I posted about night fishing for salmon and it was questioned if it was legal. I emailed the WDFW and this is what they sent back:

Thank you for your email correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

If there is not a night closure noted in the additional rules section of the fishing rules pamphlet, and there is no night closure or an emergency rule change for that area then you can fish 24 hours a day in freshwater areas. You are correct that Columbia River anglers must be on the Washington side of the river because Oregon doesn't allow night fishing in the Columbia River (see Oregon for Oregon rules). Sturgeon is the only fish that has a no night fishing rule unless it is specifically listed differently in the additional rules like it is in the Chehalis River. Salmon or Steelhead can be open 24 hours a day (when season is open) unless noted otherwise in additional rules. Many of the statewide general rules can be found on pages 26 and 27 of the fishing rules pamphlet. Please see the pamphlet for details of all rules that apply.

Please make sure you check for emergency rule changes before you harvest as follows:

Fishing Rule Change Hotline at (360) 902-2500
Shellfish Rule Change Hotline at 1-866-880-5431
Or, try our new searchable emergency rule link off our website at: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp

Additionally, for shellfish, make sure to call the Dept. of Health Marine Toxins PSP Hotline at 1-800-562-5632.

If you have further questions, please email again or call (360) 902-2700. Our Customer Service hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
Fish Program"

· Registered
2,737 Posts
The legality issue has been beat to death previously and searches come up with the answers
"A while back I posted about night fishing for salmon and it was questioned if it was legal. I emailed the WDFW and this is what they sent back:

Thank you for your email correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

If there is not a night closure noted in the additional rules section of the fishing rules pamphlet, and there is no night closure or an emergency rule change for that area then you can fish 24 hours a day in freshwater areas. You are correct that Columbia River anglers must be on the Washington side of the river because Oregon doesn't allow night fishing in the Columbia River (see Oregon for Oregon rules). Sturgeon is the only fish that has a no night fishing rule unless it is specifically listed differently in the additional rules like it is in the Chehalis River. Salmon or Steelhead can be open 24 hours a day (when season is open) unless noted otherwise in additional rules. Many of the statewide general rules can be found on pages 26 and 27 of the fishing rules pamphlet. Please see the pamphlet for details of all rules that apply.

Please make sure you check for emergency rule changes before you harvest as follows:

Fishing Rule Change Hotline at (360) 902-2500
Shellfish Rule Change Hotline at 1-866-880-5431
Or, try our new searchable emergency rule link off our website at: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp

Additionally, for shellfish, make sure to call the Dept. of Health Marine Toxins PSP Hotline at 1-800-562-5632.

If you have further questions, please email again or call (360) 902-2700. Our Customer Service hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
Fish Program"
Apparently WDFW doesn't know the rules either I called the vancouver office and asked if the columbia was open for night fishing SALMON and was told NO STEELHEAD only and that there was some parts of the river closed to all night fishing.

Now i'm totally confused,think I'll believe what the WDFW told me you do what you want.
When I say I called I mean about 10 mins ago !!!
Bob

· Registered
2,864 Posts
I was just on the phone on a conference call with 2 WDFW biologists and they consented that the CR is open below Bonneville for Salmon night fishing on the Wash side. It is closed to all night fishing in the Bonneville pool until Oct 15th.

So there You have it WDFW says night fishing open below Bonneville for all species except Sturgeon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.