IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its legal to fish steelhead at night on the columbia in Wa. question is, is it legal to night fish in Ore. waters on the columbia.I know our lis. is recgonized by both states as long as your in the Columbia but I heard Ore. was giving out tickets last year for night fishing ???.Does anyone know for sure ??
Bob :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Bob,
I do not think Oregon can ticket you if you have a Washington license. If you have both, I'd just produce your Washington license if you get checked. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There is an imaginary line drawn down the center of the river. Legal at night for Wa. anglers to fish on the Wa. side of the river. Illegal for either states anglers to fish for steelhead, salmon or sturgeon on the Oregon side of the river unless it is one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. An Oregon angler may fish at night on the Wa. side of the river if he or she posesses a Wa. license. They can and will fine you. Although it is not strictly enforced above some of the dams. :cheers:

·
Registered
755 Posts
We can really add mud to this...Who can clear it up?

Both states regulations say that no matter what state you are licensed in you must follow the rules of the state you are fishing in.

So...That must mean that I have an Oregon license and fish on the Washington side I can keep 2 Steelhead and 2 Salmon and load up the boat in Rainier and be legal with them on a Oregon tag......when they check me???????

Or... The fin clip thing....Wa. says a scar healed...even if the thing grew partialy back it is legal......Oregon says it must "ALL" be gone.

I have an Oregon lic and catch a bad clipped fish in Washington waters and I am fishing in WA waters..... so it must be legal...even if I land in the Willamette in Portland with my Oregon License....Right?

Or...an Oregon licensed person can come out of St. Helens and night fish the mouth of the Lewis...in the Columbia and catch Steelhead till 2 in the morning and land at 3 in the morning in St. Helens and be legal?

Always wanted to know the rules on these...

I am reaching for my helmut now...sow let me have it!!!!

SG

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Originally posted by FEAR NO FISH!:
There is an imaginary line drawn down the center of the river.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The line doesn't go down the center of the river...you need to check a map for the specific location you're fishing because the boundary line wanders all over the place. Back in 1853. when those whiners north of the river wanted to have their own state, Oregon graciously went along but made sure Oregon kept the lion's share of the river and most of the islands. At the I-5 bridge the stateline is about 50' off the Washington shore...right up next to the bank almost. Near the mouth, the entire main river channel is in Oregon...the line snakes back behind Sand Island thru the side channel that passes between the Ilwaco boat basin and the Chinook boat basin. Sand Island and the little one east of it are both Oregon territory. At East Sand Island, which is north of the ship channel 10 miles up the estuary and scene of the big Caspian tern colony, the SW 2/3 of the island is in Oregon while the NE 1/3 is in Washington (it was created by dredge spoils since 1853).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hookem. The answer is no.

Don't listen to Fear no Fish by the way. He has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to night fishing.

JUST KIDDING!

·
Registered
522 Posts
ok, here's more for you. If I fish at night can I tag 2 before midnght and 2 after? These are on seperate days.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sure are a lot of good questions being posted here....why have we not heard from some of you that write the tickets....Or other legal types....So we can avoid being in violation?

I can read and read the regulations from both states and still don't know for sure on some of this stuff....I tend to stay as far inside the rules as I can to not be in any kind of violation.

Example:

I live in WA.....Have not purchased my Washington license yet but will soon. I often launch in Oregon and fish on the Washington side of the Columbia....I do have an Oregon license...I am fishing in Washington and often catch a bad clipped Steel Head....Back it goes...rather than put it on a Oregon tag and land in Oregon to meet up with a ticket. Same goes for an Oregon resident fishing in Washinton waters???

This is where the confusion of following the rules of the state your fishing in boggles me....What is correct here and..... on the other questions I raised??

Come on you IFISH lurkers....I mean lawyers....I mean enforcement folks....You IFISH guides must face this once in a while...cause I here you all limit out often!!!

I try to do it 110% right every trip out and still wonder if when I get back I will get slammed with a ticket.

SG

Tomorrow night the Kenai for a week !!!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Done the two before and two after thing more than once.....never checked or questioned. Have seen it done by several others.....not sure if they were hassled or not. :shrug: Russ

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know for sure two before and two after works at drano and the cow.and the lewis unless they've changed the rules this year and I haven't seen anything posted anywhere that says differant.
:whazzup: :shrug:
I just wanted to fish the columbia after dark for steelies.
Bob

[ 07-24-2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
522 Posts
slitgoddess,
Do I understand this right? If I have a wa. and or. lic and tags, I can keep 4 fish! 2 on each tag? If true that may be only accademic for me. My catch rate is about one fish
every 6 trips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts