IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I will say something nice about the recent sandy river argument on the board.

The reason people don't want their favorite spots mentioned specifically is not to be rude or selfish. It is to keep the fishing good.

If 12 biting summerruns are spread around the non-secret spots, such as Cedar Creek or wherever, then that means a few guys down there have excellent fishing.

Now, if 25 guys go down the trail, that means a few guys get fish and fishing in general is slow to mediocre and THERE IS TONS OF GARBAGE AND WADDED UP FISHING LINE!!!!!!

These are indisputable facts. Simply say you've done well on the upper Sandy or look at the FREE catch records from the ODFW and check for the month of May and you will know where to catch fish. There's my free tip for the day. Please don't litter and good luck fishing. If you want more tips, 'cuz I don't want to be known as a taker and not a giver, feel free to email me.

ED

P.S. I enjoy everyone's posts, so keep 'em coming. Thank's Jen for the hard work!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I may come off as completely elitist and spewing generalities but I really believe that those people who are smart enough to figure out how to use one of them thar computaters enough to find their way here are also smart enough to know that trashing the resources that we have is a bad thing.

Oh, and here's another couple of zipperlip tips: search the Ifish archives going back to the time of year that you wanna research, and chances are you will learn a LOT. Heck, go back two, even three years and find a pattern. Second, go buy the "Fishing in Oregon" book. Lots of info on rivers, including locations of holes.

Truthfully, there are few secrets areas out there for those who want to do the research.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Well said, Fishing Geek

I truly would hate to see what ifish would look like if everybody went zipperlip. But I have faith, just look at Depoe Bay Dan, he is not only very specific he takes fellow ifishers to his spots! And look at Salty Dogs, now there is a bunch of nice guys willing to share! Heck, they literally give out the exact locations (GPS). There are countless others as well...

Maybe a suggestion, if someone is looking for info in a Topic, email him or her any info you want to give if you don't want to post your zipperlip spots, and don't criticize fellow ifishers that want to post their secrects?

[ 05-17-2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
... not to mention that when a resource is threatened by (development, hatchery closure, dam operations, etc.) it is nice to have people who feel the pride of ownership that comes with being intimately familiar with a place enough that they are willing to make an effort to protect it. Keep it secret and folks may not see a reason to prevent it's loss.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I started lurking around in i-fish back about a year ago. I liked what you folks offered, decided to sign up. I have learned many new tips, pink worms, rags, maybe some day I'll even try jigs. When I posted that note yesterday about my recent trips on the sandy, I wanted to offer back some of what I had received. One of the reasons I mentioned Cedar creek specifically was to convey that both summers and springers are throughout the lower river, and people should have faith that they are fishing over fish pretty much throughout the system. I certainly was not offended by Bryon, nor will my future posts be constrained by what was said. An opinion was expressed, this would be a dull site without such expressions. I love the Sandy, I've fished it since 1971 and have lived on it since 1991. Like the geek said, there ain't no secret spots.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
People certainly have the right to zipperlip or not zipperlip. It's easy to sympathize with either side of the argument.
But jumping on somebody for providing information is out of line, IMHO.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Originally posted by The Fishing Geek:
I may come off as completely elitist and spewing generalities but I really believe that those people who are smart enough to figure out how to use one of them thar computaters enough to find their way here are also smart enough to know that trashing the resources that we have is a bad thing.

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I disagree - I think that stupid folks CAN find their way here (and often do), and may come here just to glean information and don't give a rat's nose about our environment.

BUT - I think that people that are an active part of the Ifish community are smart enough to know better.

Not to split hairs or anything! :smile:

Your two tips are excellent ones - A quick question concerning searching - Do you have to be a registered member to search the archives?

Tom

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
and we've heard so much about your opinions on this, that I can't fathom a new opinion... so let's just let this one go.

If you are a zipperlipper or not, welcome to ifish! :smile:

...and if you couldn't share on ifish, why would anyone post or even register???

I have given, and I have taken, and I feel really good about both!

Thank you, ifishers!

Jen

[ 05-17-2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
You see, what happens, is people go out fishing, then they come home to read ifish.

You can always tell the ones who caught fish, and then the ones who didn't. :smile:

TEE HEE! :smile:

No, actually, that would put me bad, because I haven't felt anything tugging on my line for ages!

UH OH! LOOK OUT!

Jen

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm not a zipperlipper personally. I'm not employed right now so I can get out alot more often then I used to . I know there are alot of Ifishers out there that would love to take a day off to hook up. The problem is they would like to know that there is a good chance of doing just that before they take the day off. Yes, some would argue that it's worth it just to get away and wet your line. Well, that being true 99% of the time. People still want to hook up. It's frustrating to feel that you wasted a vacation day or day without pay when the fishing was lousy. I enjoy helping others. It makes me feel good to know that the information I give may help someone else to catch some fish. I know that if I were working I would sure appreciate alittle help. Fishing is AWESOME!

I remember taking a buddy to Astoria last year to catch Fall Nooks. I told him to be ready by a certain time in the morning. He wasn't ready. I got upset and he told me,"Dude calm down it's just fishing". Wrong. It's a way of life, an attitude, a mind set.

Thanks for listening. SPACE

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Originally posted by Space Fish?:
People still want to hook up.SPACE
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Not me. It doesn't bother me at all that I have not yet caught a springer. Not a goldarned bit. Noop. No sweat. I don't care to hook up. After all, it's just a fish. Foo. :mad:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
When I first signed up with I-Fish there was a lot of shareing going on and friendly banter back and forth.We still have the banter but the shareing of info has really dropped off.I have no proplem what so ever with giveing out info on where I'm catching fish or where the fish are or on what I'm useing.I understand why some of us don't want to share specifics on where there fishing,thats there right.I guess I-Fish has gotten to big and thats the reason a lot of people that use to share don't anymore.I just
wish it was like it use to be.I for one will always share what I know or think I know :grin:
with others because someone shared with me or in someway made me a better fisherman.Thats what I-fish is all about.I hope. :whazzup:
Bob :shrug:

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
I think so too, Bob, and I think we all miss the good old days, for that reason. :smile:

I'm just still going to share. Shoot me if you don't like it... or, please don't! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
166 Posts
"There A Thousand fish In the sea"
Chances are I've been @ most of everyone's secret spot, I also have good ethics and teach them to my children who will probably fish in your secret spots, I dont always take a fish home but I always pick up a piece or two of litter.
The people that dont respect our land never will but some of us can help by setting good examples!
INMHO :cheers:
(if you find a pair of sunglasses below Marmot Dam, that wasn't litter)

[ 05-18-2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: STINGRAY ]

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm willing to share when it comes to fishing with very few exceptions - those being the King Crab that I am in the middle of and my wife who got me the King Crab that I'm in the middle of.

I have to go now, I've got butter all over the keyboard. :tongue:

[ 05-18-2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: corkyking ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts