IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The other marking trailer is a bit more straight forward. This is used for the marking of the 1.7 million Coho raised here at the hatchery.

The fish are sized and counted by the pound.

Moved to the inside holding tank,

the fish are hand dipped, anesthetized and their adipose fin is removed.

The fish are placed in the trough closest to the clipper and sent back to the raceway. Spending only a few days back in the raceways, they are transferred to the rearing ponds.

The end.

:smile:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Thanks for sharing Mark!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice pictures Mark

Thanks for taking the time to get those pictures. Are you doing any of the clipping?

MM

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Alan!

Though I volunteered and could have done some clipping, the hatchery manager explaned to me that there are two groups of people doing the marking. Students and marking gypsies. Both groups are looking to make a buck or two from the process and I did not feel that it would be fair to take work away. Instead, I took the tour, snapped some pics and posted these threads.

If you have the time, stop by the hatchery and ask for Aaron. He would be glad to show you the clipping trailers and answer any questions you might have.

:smile:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Makk~ thanks for taking the time to show us the steps how they fin clip the salmon

[ 06-04-2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Hey, if you really want to learn about fin clipping, check the post on Rhodes Pond fin clipping. It is at the top of the ifish discussion board. Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts