IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I thought I would share with you the fin clipping process here at the Washington State Salmon Hatchery on the North Fork Lewis River. This is the time of year when last falls hatchery Coho and some naturally spawning Chinook are marked for sport, commercial and scientific reasons.

Two marking trailers are brought in and set up with electricity and water for the process.
Water for the mass marking unit is taken from, and returned to, the raceways. Water from the bar code trailer is returned directly to the river.

A small sample of 100,000 or so Fall Chinook fry are seined from a couple spots in the river and brought to these holding tanks.

From there, they are moved to the trailer’s holding tank.

Hand netting a small batch of fish, they are place in an anesthetizing bath, sorted for species and size.

If the fish is too small or something other than a Chinook, it is returned to the river. The fish then have their adipose fin removed and placed in a secondary holding tank.

Again the fish are hand dipped and placed in the anesthetizing bath.

(continued in part 2)

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Hey that building looks familliar. how come they are fin clipping wild fall chinook? Or did I get confused somewhere?

Dano

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told that they are trying to track thier migration routes via reports from commercial fishers. If they see a clipped Chinook (at a given time and area), they are to scan it and send the head in.

It is not too often we have a fall Chonnok fishery on the NFL (we had one least year). Out of 100,000 one could expect >3000 marked fish returning in four years or so.

I questioned why so few. There are millions of fry in the river right now. I figure that they would get better results with more clipped fish.

:shrug:

It will be interesting to see the test results.

:smile:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
This will (hopefully) be our third year in a row to fish for these natives. 17,000 and 14,000 returned the last two years according to Rob Nicolay, the hatchery manager. That is apparently far more than necessary for peak escapement. And apparently a similar run is expected this year. Marvelous fish!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Cool pictures Mark

From what I hear its gonna be open to chinooks again this year :dance:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I thought I'd feature these today.

Thanks for sharing them!

I can't figure out how to get them in order, though!

Jen

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for making the threads stick Jennie.

I really enjoy our hatchery and the people who work there.

:smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts