IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

My father and I are planning to hit the Big Pond out of Newport for a first ocean salmon trip this year. Any thought on what has been working? Plan on using divers, flashers, and herring. We will also have downriggers if needed. Anybody been out recently with some advice? How deep with downriggers or how many pulls with divers, etc? Not looking to head too far out, but plan on starting to fishin 150-200 feet of water. Is that good? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. Hope to post pics if we are successful.

-Mike

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
For what its worth, I can only tell you what Ive been hearing, only fished twice in the ocean so far this year up in Tillamook but everyone on the water was successful each day. Ive heard Downriggers are finding fish anywhere from 40 to 100 ft. fish flash, herring etc. Kings taking the deeper offerings I guess. Spoiled daddy got a nice nook yesterday in Newport on a hoochie @ 35'
Garibaldi the hot rod seemed to be the one in the propwash, 8 to 12 pulls. Ive heard a few guys in Newport had success right behind the boat too. We fished right at 200, anwhere from 20 to 60 pulls Newport I hear they were doing well at 200 this week? Watch the charters and convoys.
Good luck..bonk 'em

[ 07-17-2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Big Smizz
My wife and I are planning a trip to newport on saturday as well. We have a 19' bayliner and do not intend to go out far, but would be interested in whats working. When's best time to depart? Have been out numerous times in past, they say the rock pile is the place to catch fish. We have had no success, little to concerned with safety and have never found rock pile. We have only fished herring and had little luck. I hope this will improve the chances. Hope you have a great day and look forward to sharing some pic's.

Dave

·
Registered
182 Posts
Big Smizz,

I am not sure about Saturday but when I went out of Newport on Monday we had our limits by 11:15. Started in about 170' slightly N/NW of the jetty. Gotem anywhere between 14-25 pulls. Running diver/flasher and a hoochie with a chunk of herring on the top hook. Mostly coho with one nook.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
knukledragger
what color hoochie were you using if you dont mind
me asking. :shrug: I have not used hoochie's sounds like they do the job.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I will preface this by telling you this is what has been working for us in our boat the last 2-3 trips out. As of yesterday, Thursday, the fish were still in close to the beach and long runs were not necessary. Our friends caught fish within a mile of the Y buoy, as did two of my neighbors. All three groups had mixed limits of coho and chinook.

We have been using the downriggers set pretty shallow in the morning, starting at about 30 feet and working them down to 50 feet as more light gets on the water. We are dragging a light blue/green cuddle fish type hoochie behind a red/silver large plastic flasher (sorry...
can't remember the name) with a 36" leader to the hoochie. We have just been squirting herring oil on the hoochies, but both neighbors were putting on chunked herring. The nooks seem to be mixed in or right under the schools of coho.

Lots and lots of non-fin clipped coho, so practice your catch and release without killing them at the boat. :depressed:

Hope this helps. SD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks SD for the info. :bowdown: It should help to put a couple in the boat. Hoping to share some pics
and a great time!

·
Registered
123 Posts
We had good luck last weekend out of Newport using silver flasher, deep six diver and Watermelon Hoochies with Hearing, limited 3 people by noon, one nookie about 22 lbs.
Go get em, the silvers are big this year compared to last year, can't wait for them to get in the CR :cheers:

·
Registered
801 Posts
We fished out of Newport Saturday and Sunday with great results. Threw crab pots in on the way out. Filled 2 salmon limits on both days, mostly chinook with the largest weighing 36lbs. Found a reef South of the jetty and picked up a bunch of seabass along with a couple lingcod. Pulled the crab pots on the way back in and they were full of large females with a few males mixed in, I think we had a total of 10 for the 2 days. We marked the crab pots using a GPS on Saturday but forgot to mark them on Sunday. We found them eventually but it took a while. Saw a 45lb. chinook being weighed at the South Beach Marina store when we came back in.

GPS...Don't leave home without it!

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts