IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there been crabbing in Newport recently? Thinking of giving it a go next week if there are crabs to be had. I typically do all our crabbing in fall, and never tried it in spring.... My wife is getting burn out of fishing springers with no action to speak of. Though we might mix it up. Kirk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some one, anyone. I Would like to go my self but I think springers are going to start . Don't know which I like to eat more, crab or springers.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My family has a moorage out there and crab often but nothing within the last 3 weeks.

Year round, you'll be able to find keeper sized crab but May - August you're gonna have to grind (on average 1-2 keepers per 6 pot 30 min soak) and you will have to sort through a fair share. It being the first week of May, you may be able to avoid too many soft shells.

Incoming tides till lunch is nice, the 6ft swings aren't ideal but I'd work the pots through high slack.
After that, call it cause it won't get better and per the forecast, the wind is going to pick up and really suck.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I appreciate the feed back Spade. That’s a 2 hour road trip one way.....

Is there a spring run of chinook in the Yaquina river? I’m sure not having much luck in the Willy. If there is I might run down there and fish some different water with my wife. We had fun last fall down there. Kirk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well I appreciate the feed back Spade. That’s a 2 hour road trip one way.....

Is there a spring run of chinook in the Yaquina river? I’m sure not having much luck in the Willy. If there is I might run down there and fish some different water with my wife. We had fun last fall down there. Kirk
I know that trip well. For me there's nothing in the Yaquina worth putting effort into outside the crabbing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts