IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any signs of herring yet? Itching to go....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like SF gets them way earlier than us. More and more people are using cast nets down there too.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
They are showing in Crescent City now (2/2/2021)
we ran over today, can’t say it was red hot....but we put 680 in the freezer, in about 3 hours.
Doesn’t help when high tides are before daylight and after sunset....I will probably run over after the weekend and give it another go.

Nice grade, but I need to do that 2 more times.

·
Premium Member
17,315 Posts
we ran over today, can’t say it was red hot....but we put 680 in the freezer, in about 3 hours.
Doesn’t help when high tides are before daylight and after sunset....I will probably run over after the weekend and give it another go.

It's too early - ain't supposed to show until next weekend according to my calendar.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Newport or CC

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hoping for next weekend in Newport
I'm hoping to get over there early in the week of the 15th, cause we're moving mid week. I gotta try out my new bow mount w/spot lock! :cool: Cheers, CopperMan.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I crabbed on Wednesday at Newport. Spent almost the whole day on the bay and saw a lot of action on the fish finder. Big heavy schools of baitfish, that I assume are herring. We were working from the NOAA dock up river to marker 12A by the propane tank.

·
King Lingcod
49,415 Posts
The Bald Eagles have started hanging around watching the Bays. It might be a sign.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I want to get down there to try it, only place I have ever done it before is up in Kodiak. I was curious, does the moon phase or tides have anything to do with when they show?

·
King Lingcod
49,415 Posts
Don G will tell you it's all about Valentines day. Mid, February seems to be the time. What the moos had been doing, I don't know.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts