IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have been lurking here for about 5 months on the advice of a co-worker, and he was right, this is a great place for fishing info for guys like me who are new to salmon and stealhead fishing.

The story: This story is a little funny if you have kids. When my son was four I took him on his first fishing trip to wikiup in central OR. after a decent day for a four year olds first trip 3 kokes and a brown I asked my son if he wanted to release his fish or take it home and "clean" it. He decided that he wanted to take it home so up to the fish cleaning station we go. As I slice open the first fish my son starts crying and it gets even worse as I cut off the head, turns out he thougt we were going to take the fish home and give them a bath and put them in the aquarium. the moral of the story, choose your words carefully when talking to children. OOPS

The intro: I moved my family to portland due to work situations about 2 years ago. I am a steal stud framer by trade, have a wife and one son. I have learned a great deal from ifish so far. I new nothing about salmon fishing when I first starded reading the boards here and now I still know nothing but my son,who is now 10, did catch his first salmon, a 27 inch coho, out of Newport last weekend thanks to info I was able to find here about how to rig and where to go.

Keep up the good posting it helps newbies like me imensely.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Welcome aboard. I know what you are saying about fishing with your kids. I took my daughter fishing last fall (3.5 years old). All was well until she befriended the bait (night crawlers). Makes it hard to fish when all the bait has names and she was trying to teach them all tricks. :shrug: :smile:

RF

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest (the greatest place in the world) and welcome to Ifish (the greatest site in the world) :grin: happy to have you aboard

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Funny story

I bet your son didn't cry this time.

Welcome to Ifish slugbait00

Bobby

[ 09-02-2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: big n bright ]

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Oops is right! But sounds like he's still fishing with you. Glad you latched onto a coho.

I, too, have learned so much here at Ifish that I wonder how I ever caught a fish before. I think back at the times I got skunked and if I had only known then what I know now....

Welcome :cheers:

Skein

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Welcome to the ifish family!! It is so fun taking kids fishing!! Great story!! :smile: :smile:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome! Great story and introduction.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome to I fish!! :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts