IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard people using the term "estuary" when fishing the lower CR. My question is - What part of the lower CR is considered the estuary? How far up river does it go? Does it go up to the Tongue Point area or is it just the mouth area down river from Hammond? Dictionary.com says: "The part of the wide lower course of a river where its current is met by the tides". In the Columbia this could be almost halfway between Tongue Point and Cathlamet.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I guess in reality it would be somewhere from just above Lewis and Clark NWR all the way down to the mouth. Practically speaking, most refer to the estuary as the area from just above Tongue Point on down. Perhaps ODFW/WDFW have still another perspective which would be from the Wauna powerlines on down (since that is the only part that is open for retention right now.) :wink:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I'd say it stretchs from about 10 miles above astoria to the mouth. There are alot of tidal estuary above john day river. You can see it as you head to the ramp entry. Good question. Look on the map, and you can likely get a good idea. The widest areas with lots of small islands and such are part of it in my opinion, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lure In and GBS. That's what I was assuming but you know what happens when you assume.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts