IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of writing my newbie story about our great leader [email protected] since I have known since she was a teanager. However, I decided against that because she gets too many compliments on this sight and we need to keep her humble.

I elected instead to write something that the younger people might benefit from. I fished for trout a lot when I was a youngster growing up in Northern Idaho. My friend and I would fish up a creek near where my father worked as a logger. We would then catch a ride home with my dad at the end of his workday.

After my friend and I finished a day of fishing dad came by not in his Model A, (which in those days they used as a substitute for Jeeps, because of its ability to travel on bad roads), but in the back of another logger’s pickup, since the old car had broken down. We climbed in the back with him and on the way home we went by the game warden checking some other fishermen. He saw our poles and hollered at us wanting to know if we had caught any fish. My dad the jokester signaled that we had caught a big fish and immediately was requested to stop.

Fortunately by the time dad signaled the driver to stop we were out of sight of the
law. At that moment I decided I was in big trouble and told dad I had more fish than my limit. His instant reaction was to reach in my canvas water bag that I used for a creel and throw away some of the fish. Since he has passed away, let’s not debate if he did the right thing, Ok? Anyway, the game warden arrived and asked to see the fish. He checked our catch complimented both of us regarding the nice fish we had caught. When we got home I counted the fish and had exactly 20 fish which was the limit in those days.

I didn’t get in trouble from my family because, that was the way things were done in those days by my family and friends. However, it was a turning point in my life in developing into a law abiding sportsman. Breaking the law was not something I wanted to do just because “that was the way things were done.”

Needless to say that mentality I had is a part of the big picture of why there aren’t as many fish in those little creeks in Idaho any more. I regret I did that and only hope young fishermen realize that there is a right way to be a true sportsman and that being a greedy fisherman can result in fewer fish for them and even their children to enjoy in the future. I also regret that I wasn’t taught the principle of “catch and release” at an earlier age.

I really enjoy ifish and hope I can continue to learn from many of you and maybe share with you people some of my thoughts.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Good story and welcome aboard. Interesting how an incident like that can be a turning point.

Years ago (years and years) I fished and hunted with an older gentleman in Alaska (called him my uncle) and he was the first person I ever saw who practiced catch and release. That was waaaay before it became popular on TV, mainly because we didn't even have TV back then.

His term for keeping a fish was, "What do you think? Shall we kill this one for dinner?" That really put it in perspective for me. It was okay to kill one to eat, but you didn't have to kill every one you caught.

He also did the same thing bird hunting. If he saw two grouse, he would only shoot one because he wanted to leave some for "seed." If he saw three, he would again only go after one. It was only the big coveys that he would take more than one bird out of.

Sorry I got carried away here, but your story really brought back some memories.

:cheers:

Skein

·
Registered
733 Posts
I liked the story too GDB. thanks and welcome to ifish. gary

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Welcome to the board! :cheers: Lots of useful information here with nice people to boot!!

- :dance: jokester

1 - 5 of 5 Posts