IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is my “new member” first post.

This is a story from years ago when I was growing up in Alaska. I have yet to come across something like this again.

I was fishing on a small lake on Ft. Richardson with a friend and his mom in their small boat. We were trolling around the lake all morning. I don’t actually recall catching any fish.

There were several people fishing on the lake on a dock and from the bank. After a while a sow black bear and her 3 young cubs came out of the brush and started walking around on the bank. She was mostly sniffing around but not really bothering anyone.

The sow started heading towards the dock, so we pulled the boat over and put everyone in the boat and motored out to the center of the lake. The sow sniffed around on the dock and started wandering again.

There was a fellow on the bank fishing with his young daughter; she was maybe 4 or 5. The sow and the cubs started heading towards them. When we noticed the bears getting close we started heading over in the boat. When the bear was about 30 yards from the pair of them the dad grabbed his fishing rod and tackle box and took off running. When he was about 15-20 yards away he turned and yelled to his daughter, who was still standing there, “Run from the bear honey”. She didn’t move and the bear was maybe 20-feet away.

We motored the boat over as fast as we could yelling at the bear the whole way. When we got close and the sow and her cubs took off into the brush. We put the little girl in the boat for a little while until we were sure was gone.

When the bear was gone we motored over to the guy who was still walking away down the bank. I remember all of the adults yelling at the guy and some of the guys from the dock almost started giving him a beating.

I just don’t know what was going through that guys head. It must have been one heck of a nice rod and his tackle box must have been loaded with Nail Polish Pink Okies and the recipe to Carrot Juice.

I used to be in the Marine Corps and now I am currently living back in Wasilla Alaska and fishing the valley as much as possible. If anyone out there is from AK let me know and maybe we can do a little fishing.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Netarts Oregon is quite a ways from Wasilla Alaska however, if you ever make it down south, I would be happy to go after a clam, crab or fish with you.

Your story is sad but true. Some peoples priorities are way out of line.

Welcome to our family.

Sore Back

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good story....My brother guides for a lodge on Katmai, every year he has clients that won't break a fish off and leave when a bear gets too close. What is really sad is how mad they get when he has to grab their rod, and get them out of there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts