IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay – so I’m all the way up to ten posts with no newbie story and no reprimands to do so…

So here’s my new member story before its too late:

After graduating from college in 1983, I had the opportunity to go to Alaska with two friends that had a line on cannery jobs in Valdez. One of the guys had even lined up a place to stay with a pastor of a (very) small church and his family. They graciously moved their young daughter into their bedroom and gave us a bedroom in their two-bedroom mobile home and a neighbor gave us an old truck to drive around. The neighbor also let us use his canoe whenever we wanted it.

The cannery jobs never panned out, but the pastor’s wife had a connection at the state mental hospital and was able to get all three of us hired on a temporary basis – helping the patients with day-to-day activities (lots of on-the-job stories there, yikes!).

Oh yea… this is a fishing story… One day I and one of the friends took the canoe out into Prince William Sound near the terminus of the Trans-Alaska oil pipeline (across the bay from Valdez). As usual, the mosquitoes were relentless, the rain was a constant drizzle and fishing was fast and furious. We were catching mostly pinks with an occasional chum mixed in. The limit then was six fish per person. A hour or so into the trip we had 11 fish and were more than ready to get the last one and get inside where it was dry and skeeterless. “Just one more and we’ll go” we said…. We fished and fished, moving around the bay following the jumping fish… Have you ever just needed one more – and you just couldn’t get him? So, we were just about to give up when a salmon jumped out of the water – hit me in the leg and landed in the bottom of the canoe- 12 fish!

Okay – maybe now that I am older and wiser and a bit more ‘pure’ in my techniques, I would carefully put the fish back in the water and continue to fish until we hooked one legally (sure…).

RSL

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
welcome to ifish, good story, wish I could see a fish do that just once...of course in my boat tho :grin:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Good story and thanks for coming clean. :grin:

I've had several friends who had fish jump in their boats, but mostly in Seward or Canada. Even had a friend win a contest with a fish that "fell in from the sky." (His last name was Van Sky)

I remember Valdez, too, and the terminal there. Uh...what were you doing out there in a CANOE???

Just kidding. Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Skein

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to Ifish and good story. :smile: I have two canoes and have fished and hunted from them often so I can relate. Never had a free one like that, though I have had a duck or two "land" in mine. I now know what to do when my hunting buddy yells "INCOMING!" Yes, a dead duck projectile hurtling in at 50 mph does hurt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
welcome aboard! Great story!! This year I saw a steelhead jump on the dock in st helens marina. It was sittin there doin the jumpin jack and this kid about 7 yrs old runs over and trys to subdue it, but mr steelie put the smack down on that kid and ended up back in the drink!! It was really funny! I still laugh thinkin about the look on that kids face! :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts