IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should post a story I been around a while and never did it yet. Hopefully someone will answer my posts after this lol
Last fall a couple of friends and I were trolling cutplug on the siusalaw the weather was beautiful and we already had a fish each in the boat. We started into a hole that had been good to us already that morning and I dropped my herring over the edge; I had just barely got it set right when my rod went over and line was peeling like crazy fish on it was great. The boat traffic was heavy and people were going everywhere, I figured the fish was a goner in someone else’s prop if I didn’t get it under control fast. The fish ran right straight back to the boat and I though all was well, then all of a sudden this fish takes off like a freight train up a slough. I am thinking hey that’s even better the only problem was that the fish smoked out 100 yards of line in a split second. I fish a lot and am well experienced on beating up on chinos, so I tend to fish with a heavy drag and thumb but I could do nothing to stop this fish when it decided to go. There was lots of chatter about getting spooled as you can imagine and finally we got started chasing the fish down before I kissed 200 yards of tuff line good bye.
We finally got up on the fish. I had fought it for about 5 minutes and I started telling my buddies that I think this is one huge fish. I couldn’t do a thing with it and my arms were starting to get awful tired from trying to horse it around to keep it off the pilings. Finally it starts giving up a little and starts coming to the boat a little and all of a sudden up pops a sea lion head and it has my fish in its mouth. I had been fighting the damn sea lion the hole time except the very first few minutes. Now the pressure really starts I figured the fish was useless but wanted my gear back; I figured no big thing thumb the spool pull the hooks free. Fat chance of that. I pulled and thumbed for all I was worth and nothing happened. For about the next 10 minutes we chased the sealion around in the slough every time it tried to pop its head up we were there. Once again it started coming to the boat real easy, I think we near drowned the poor thing, and I started joking with my buddies about netting it for me so I could take a picture holding it up. Well about 3 feet under the water and about 4 feet out from the boat the saline finally spits the fish and pops its head up and looks at us. I reeled for all I was worth before it could grab it again; we netted the fish looked it over and there was only 2 puncture marks in the fishes head. I got a nice 35-lb. hen and the fight of a life time out of it. Boy I can tell you one thing I was so stinking tired after that I was in no hurry to put my rod back in the water. I was using 65lb tuff plus and 40 lb. maxima ultragreen for leader and that is some strong stuff I swear by both manufactures now, and I would never stray. I was thumbing my reel so hard I had blisters on my thumb the next day and cramps in my arms for the rest of the day on the river, and that line didn’t give it didn’t even look stretched. I retired that leader I got it hanging over my computer desk to remind me of the best damn fighting 35 lb. Chinook I ever caught. the story is a bit long and I suck at punctuation but hell I am a dumb mechanic/ fisherman so dont spam me with english :blush: lessons :blush:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Fun story. Dont worry about spelling or punctuation here. We just like to have fun and share some info.
Mikeymoto

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
We're not english teachers...well, at least i'm not! Welcome to the board! :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts