IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I decided to go steelhead fishing about 3 yrs ago. He had caught many fish already and this was going to be my first trip. My buddy had been fishing about 4 miles up the mouth of the Deschutes.
We arrived at the trail head about 7:00 and put new 12lb test on our line. We were biking into his secret holes. Keep in mind this is my first time steelhead fishing and one of my first times with a baitcaster reel. We arrived to our fist hole about 45 mins by bike with waders on and pole inhand.

I took my first cast out into the mighty D and had a major backlash. Myline was every where, tangled all over everything. We tried to salvage the line but we had to cut all but maybe 50 yards. We didn't happen to bring the extra spool of line with us, so I biked all the way back down the trail, respooled and biked back up. I finally got back up there by about noon and was more careful casting the rest of the day. To top things off we both fell in and filled our waders and had a wet ride one last time to end the day.

It was definalty a trip that I can look back on and laugh hard adn think how stupid we were for not carrying extra line in our backpack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like a rough trip fly guy, maybe you'd be better off bassin' in the midwest where you came from. I always do pretty well on the Deschutes fishing crappie jigs under a bobber.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome aboard! Flyguy.. :cheers:
We all learn from our mistakes. :smile:
Next time you might not forget the extra line.
Or fall in the river :laugh:
I hope you catch a few on your next outing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts