IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ifishers Here is my story.I was fishing the columbia for sturgen one day by myself and hooked into a big one. I'm standing in the back of the boat and hanging on for my life knowing that i needed to throw the anchor rope but could not get uo to it.After about 5 minutes this guy takes off upstream so I follow to the front of the boat and he turns and goes downriver (couldn't get the rope overboard) still hanging on I notice my anchor bucket floating beside the boat. I grabbed the bucket and pulled it into the boat and notice the rope is gone. Mr. Big had cut my rope but now atleast I'm floating. Well the next 45 minutes or so he is swimming circles around the boat and i'm just following him i would get him up so I could see color and then he would go back to the bottom. After about an hour I decided I was going the land him or break him off so I tightened the drag.I got him up to the top and he made one more run of about 30 feet and then my reel siezed up.One more try and he came to the boat I got the hook out and set him free and went to fire up the motor to go see if I could find my rope and get my anchor but my arms and hands hurt so bad I could not get ahold of the key to start the motor. About 15 minutes later i could finally start it up and went back but no rope. Steelerdan out 1 anchor about 75 feet of rope and a reel Fish tired but alive and well. Fish was about 7 1/2 footer. Lookin forward to seeing you out on the river I have a 16 ft Sylvan white and green with green top stop by and say hi

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Steelerdan,
that tuff line will cut through an anchor rope like butter. Good job though. I've caught alot of those size and I've learned that with 80lb tuff line you can really put the screws to them hard and land most, even bigger ones in 30 minutes or less. I know that wasted arm.hand thing. good story! Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GBS, Did I mention that I was using a salmon rod? I have since got rod and reel to match the big ones. What was I thinking. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Nice story. It is kinda common sometime when fishing like at Bonneville to have a big sturg come and grab your kwikfish and you get a good fight. Some people will tell you they can catch any oversize in an extremely short amount of time. Sometimes this is true when you have the heavy gear and they are in the 7' range. If you get one of those big boys that are pushing 10', they don't always cooperate as easily. We have had a couple that you could bearly budge even with the heavy pole when they are just hoovering like they do when you are over them. Lots of fun and great story. I always wait for the guy who says he has catches 14' or 16' sturgeon all the time when oversize sturgeon talk begins. If you have been around awhile, most will tell you that there are very few of those hawgs. Tight Lines and good luck with the new anchor rope!!!!!
:cheers:

[ 05-03-2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Welcome Steelerdan! :cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr Carp, Thanks for the reply. I have not gotten into another oversized since then but would sure like to try.Maybe I'll see you on the river sometime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts