IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the posts for about 2 weeks now and finally have a reason to post. So here is my newbi story and my first fish story. Sorry for such a long post.

When I was younger I used to love fishing and eating the fish I caught. Usually I was the one that caught the most, the biggest, the first, or the only fish of the group. As I got older, mid to late teens, my interests starting leaning towards girls and cars. I eventually stopped fishing all together. I also stopped eating fish except for white fish like Cod, Halibut or Mahi Mahi. I hadn’t fished for approx. 20 to 25 years. This winter the fishing bug has bitten me again. I even bought a boat. Ok, you “real fisherman” will say it is not a “fishing” boat. It’s one of those “fiberglass” Bayliners. I had never really fished for salmon or steelhead before. I was looking forward to catching some salmon or steelhead. Now for the next story, my first fish.

My buddy (93striper) and I have been going out about twice a week for 3 to 4 weeks. Spending about 4 to 8 hrs on the river each time. So we've put in some time. We’ve been hearing these stories like "their killing em", "they're so thick you could walk across the river on their backs" or the infamous "I heard so and so caught 2 (or 3 or 4 or ? #) yesterday". Since we haven’t caught anything and haven’t seen anything caught I developed this theory. The manufactures and retailers of fishing and boating equipment have about 6 different fake fish. They take them around and pay people to have their pictures taken with them and to tell people they caught the fish. This is highly effective for selling equipment. It sure worked on me and my buddy. We bought all kinds of gear. We checked with the local sporting goods stores to make sure we were buying the correct gear and rigging it correctly. We asked people where, and how they were catching em. My buddy watched this board to make sure we were doing things right. Finding the spots to go that were supposed to be "hot". I stared to watch the board about 2 weeks ago to confirm my theory. And sure enough, I thought all those fish looked an awful lot alike. So I joined and picked the name "Conspiracy Theory" and created my signature. I hadn’t seen or thought of anything I wanted to post until Wednesday(4/16). 93striper and I were fishing in the Columbia near Longview and all of a sudden I got a “takedown”. I was eating lunch and talking on the cell phone to my wife. I was telling her how I was getting really frustrated and starting to think this was a waste of time and effort when all of a sudden my pole bent down and came back up really fast. My hand with the phone dropped to my side. The pole bent and came back up quickly again. I said I think I got a fish. It bent down a third time and didn’t come back up. I quickly set the phone down, I forgot to tell my wife what was happening, and I grabbed the pole and tried to set the hook. Since I didn’t feel any movement on my line at first I thought I had a snag. What a major disappointment. Then the fish decided to show me it was there. I was trying to fight the fish with my lunch and lunch cooler under my feet. I asked 93striper to move my cooler and tell my wife we would call her back. Luckily with 93striper doing great net work I was able to get the fish into the boat. I had caught a nice 13lb keeper(so that is what a clipped adipose fin looks like). 93striper and I were very excited to say the least. Finally after putting the fish away and getting our lines back in the water I remember I better call my wife back(priorities of fishing- #1 get lines back in water, #2 call wife back). She said she was a little worried because after I set the phone down all she could hear was a bunch of racket and shuffling. She could tell something was going on but didn’t know what. Then 93striper came on the phone and told her we had a fish on and we would call her back. She wasn’t quite as excited as I was, but she was happy I caught a fish. As we were making the last troll my pole goes crazy again. Again on the third takedown the pole stayed bent. I grabbed it and had one good sized one on. It felt quite a bit bigger than the first one. But, since I haven't been in Boy Scouts for a while the knot on the leader must have come untied. The line went limp and when I realled it in there was no line on the swivel the leader had been tied to. Bummer. 93striper was quick to tell me he would be willing to teach me knot tying.

Now that I am a believer that "there are fish in them thar waters" I will have to come up with a new name?

Again sorry for the long post. Maybe I should have done this in 2 posts but they do go hand in hand.

One more very important thing - Thanks 93striper for taking me fishing with you. I couldn't have done it without ya. I hope we do a lot more fishing together and more importantly catch a lot of fish together.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Way to go. I'm glad to see you posted a picture. All fishong stories are fishing lie's until you back it up with a picture. May the fishing gods smile on you again soon.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Conspiracy Theory; It was an honor to host your first Springer! :dance: I'm still looking for mine
We will have to try again soon! :cool:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Nice fish. Welcome aboard!! :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts