IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new aluminum Drifter and it has been well used. I am planning on straightening out some floor dents and repainting the interior. I would like to know if it is necessary to treat the bottom (exterior) with some kind of coating. I noticed that at one time the boat had something on it(some kind of Epoxy looking material)but it has been mostly broken off.
Is it necessary to put something on it or can I get away with just straightening it out and heading for the river?

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks,

FOD

[ 09-29-2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: FishOrDie ]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Barel aluminum loves to hang on rocks. Take it down to bare metal and put Coat-It on, not Gluvit.
They carry Coat-It at Fishemans Marine. Best way to go if you want to slide over rocks easily and not have to take it down to bare metal in the future when you apply a new coat. That's the drawback of Gluvit. With Coa-It, you only scuff the existing layer and apply over it. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
In my experience it is also possible to coat it over gluvit. . A big point for me was to get as much of the old flaking material scraped off then sand bottom until smooth. A orbital sander with 100 grit sand paper is what I used. After sanding wipe down with a clean towel damp with acetone. Then your ready to apply your coat it. It is really a good idea to invest 20 bucks in a filtering mask when doing this job. Stay healthy and happy boating

[ 09-26-2003, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: cully ]

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
i wouldn't bang out those dents in the bottom. they're there for a reason. :grin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
most of the dents are pretty minor I haden't planned on getting them all out. After all I need to keep a few "Speed Dents" in the bottom to keep that used and comfortable look about the boat.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Definitely put on Coat-It. It goes on easily and quickly, is quite inexpensive, and makes the boat slide easily and track well. Plus, no need to sand, prep, etc. (you can if you choose, which we did in about 10 minutes). Did it recently on a Willie and it made a noticable difference.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where is a good place to go to get some Coat-it?
I think I will go this way but I am in Corvallis and was wondering if anyone knows any place more local that I could go to instead of running up to P-town.

Thanks,

FOD

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey I got an idea. I see you spend time in corvallis. I live here. I just got done doing my drift boat bottom with coat-it. Your welcome to come by and take a look and I'll tell you my method. You can by coat-it at Bi-Mart. 19.00 bucks. If interested in coming by shoot me a email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts