IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 21' Alumaweld Formula Vee Jet from a fellow ifisher just last week. :yay: I have fished the Columbia only 1 time so I'm a complete noob on the big C. I live in Troutdale and would like to go out and practice some trolling and anchoring while also making a good effort at catching a salmon.

If you were me where would you fish and what methods would you apply? I'm not going to try and fish buoy 10, I'd much rather keep it close to home while I'm learning the ropes.

Any advice is much welcomed, and say hi if you see me. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would say offer up a seat to someone who has experience with that style boat, and while fishing they could kinda go over the ropes with ya, first make sure you get a good anchor sytem if one didn't come with the boat.

As far as where to go, read some of the reports on here, they are getting them all over the Columbia in 30-50' of water using wobblers on a 5x5 system anchoring in the outgoing.

Thats what i gather:D

Good luck with the new boat :smash:

MD

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
GF,
Congrats on the new ride. Yes, post up an open seat for an experienced salmon fisher. Focus on familarizing yourself with every electrical connector on your new ride and make sure all the bilge pumps work...or better yet replace them w/ new. Read the manuals on your motors and keep electical schematics handy and basic tools handy for repairs. Eventually something will happen, haveing the knowledge and tools to deal with it will help greatly.
Good luck!
Hunt'nFish

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Congratulations on your new boat. Since you live in Troutdale take your boat to Chinook Landing. It's close and a great launch. Once outside on the Columbia there is plenty of room to practice trolling and some good areas to catch Steelhead and Salmon. For anchoring I would practice in about 15' to 20' of water where the current is relatively slow on the north side of Government Island. Just look for other boats and watch what they are doing. Steelhead now, Chinook pretty soon, followed by Coho in October. It's a great area. :cheers:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great tips guys, keep them coming.

Pirate, do you think it's too early to target chinook in my area?

If fishing for steelhead would you still go with a 5x5 wobbler setup, or switch to something like and 18" dropper and a spinner? (I hear orange or red hot shots work too)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, I am planning on going out of Chinook Landing tomorrow (tuesday) at about 3pm, for a few hours. The plans aren't in stone yet, but if anyone (who could help with the anchoring and fishing) is interested in an open seat, PM me. All I ask is no alcohol and no sailor talk.
:angel1:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
GF
Not too early for Chinook, but there are more Steelhead in the system right now. Chinook numbers will start climbing. The fish passage report in the Oregonian is good to give you an idea of what's moving through at any particular time. I would definately go with a spinner for Steelhead and a wobler for Chinook. Watch your fish finder and vary your dropper length accordingly. Good Luck tomorrow.....:smash:

P.S. Post a pic of that new boat

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got out on the river today, fished from 3:30 - 6:30 near the mouth of the Sandy. Thanks to some helpful people on ifish and Rob at Jack's Snack and Tackle I got a nice 14 pound hatchery chinook. 35 feet of water, 5x5 spinner.

Thanks everyone, I doubt it'll always be this easy! :)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
See, giving a little info is not such a bad thing !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts